3 - Backward ABC

My phone rang the moment my door shut. I walked over to it leisurely. I didn't recognize the number but I answered anyway.

"Hello?"

"Hey Eves," a shrill voice stretched out. "What's up?"

"Hedone?"

"Heck yeah baby!"

I pinched the bridge of my nose. "Where are you?"

"I don't know," she slurred a bit. "But it's hot here. I'm thinking New Mexico. I'm at a pay phone thing."

"What? How did you get down there from New York?"

"Some guy...I forget his name...took me up to Olympus for the night and dropped me off here. I have to wait for the cab guy now but I'll be back soon enough."

"Goodness, Grandma, couldn't you develop some self-control?"

"First off, stop calling me that. Secondly, I will develop some of that as soon as you do. I saw you leave with an attractive hunk of meat. Don't blame me. Fourthly, should I stop by and pick you tonight again?"

"Are you still drunk?"

"Getting there...again."

I shook my head at my grandmother's hung-over state. She couldn't even count correctly.

"I don't want to go out tonight and you are not convincing me otherwise tonight."

Hedone sighed on her end of the line. "Fine, I'll hit you up in a month then like I always do. See ya soon babes!"

There was a click then the line went dead. I hung up my phone and rubbed my temples. This was not turning out to be my day. I glanced over at the clock hanging above the archway into my kitchen.

My eyes budged when I noticed the time. I had to get ready for work! My shift didn't start until noon but it was already a quarter past eleven. I brushed off the whole Jay and Hedone incident. As far as I was concerned, it had never happened and I had gotten a free shirt out of the deal that never happened.

I changed quickly out of my nightly wear and into a pair of sweatpants and a tank top. My outfit for my job was actually at my workplace. I would have to wait to change until I got there just like all the other employees. I threw my hair up into a messy bun, grabbed my gym bag, filled Theo's cat dish with dry food, and headed out the door.

Outside my apartment, I cool chill fall over me as there was a slight breeze in the air. I signaled for a cab and one finally took the time to stop after a few minutes. Inside, I told the driver my destination and he went off without a word. Glancing at the clock inside that cab I cursed silently to myself. My boss was not going to be happy with me. It wasn't that I was late at that moment but knowing the New York traffic, it was easy to assume that I was going to be and I wasn't even in uniform yet.

About twenty minutes later we arrived at my work place. I gave the driver what was owed and hopped out the door. I glanced up at the building knowing that I was plenty late and still had two flights of stairs to climb. I quickly passed the words "Carmen's Ballet Academy" which was sprawled out in a lovely font just above the double door entrance.

I jumped up the stairs and hurriedly entered the large woodened floored room. The rectangular room had two walls lined with mirrors and there were two wooden horizontal poles, called Barres, attached to the mirrors. The remaining two walls in the room were huge windows allowing a wonderful sight of the New York skyscrapers in the distance.

Currently, there were two smaller Barres in the middle of the room being used by little children doing a few warm up routines. There were the sounds of a classical piano filling the room and echoing into the hallway. I smiled at the children as some shouted my name in a greeting before someone stepped in front of me effectively blocking my view.