Chapter Thirty - 'Isla's Bar & Grill'

Start from the beginning

White walls, pastel grey cornices. White furniture and deep grey rugs led through the hallway. Occasionally I noticed a picture or two on the walls as I followed Brody. Our footsteps echoed on the white tiles, the large windows allowing in generous light that danced with our moving shadows.

We had passed two closed door down the hall, a small room that held a bookcase and small black leather couch, and then, the wide hall bloomed into an open plan kitchen and living room towards the back of the house. Everything was matched to perfection, only a few things out of place, a towel hung over the back of the black leather couch which was placed into an L-shape. There was a few cans of soft drink and a few bottles of beer on the glass coffee table. The kitchen benches were white, the granite bench-tops black with a swirl of grey marble, the appliances stainless steel. A bowl of fruit was placed neatly in the middle of the island counters out-looking the living room, from the mere sight of it I knew it was a bowl of fake fruit, never the less, it lightened and broke the room up. Beside the counters, beside the lounge were fake green potted plants, it was amazing how much they themselves changed the dynamics of the house.

"Excuse the mess, obviously Brad at some point has been home" Brody apologized, tossing a dirty pot and pan into the deep two-sided sink

"Don't apologize" I told him, worried that my house actually looked like a dump to him in comparison. Both our houses were very different, in many various ways.

"The plan was to just get changed at the track, but I can smell the nitrous oxide and motor fumes on my skin, I'll have a quick shower and then we can head off, is that okay with you?" He asked, peeling his shirt off directly in front of me

I nodded, averting my eyes, unsure where to look as I pulled myself up on a bar stool pushed against the kitchen counter "That's fine"

What was it with men taking their shirts off in front of me? It was both awkward and tempting each and every time, mainly because every man that pulled the stunt, was seemingly flawless, carved and defined to perfection.

"You're more than welcome to dive into the fridge for a drink, or watch some TV while you wait" He offered with a smile, my eyes darting to and from his body, eyes and elsewhere in the house.

"Okay" I nodded, aware that my skin was started to crawl, my cheeks flushing

Brody hesitated for a moment, as though he was waiting for something, and then, he turned and disappeared down another wide hall.

The minute he was gone, I leaned my head on my arms on the bench and gave a long sigh. The last time I had kissed a man, had been confusing and out of emotions that I didn't even slightly understand. If I were to kiss Brody, I would know exactly what kind of emotions and reasoning it would be for. I wasn't sure which was better, the obvious or the mind-boggling.

With Brody, everything was easy. Everything was simple and understandable. I liked him, I got on with him well, I was attracted to him, but the main attraction was because of how predictable and stable his life was. He was what every normal girl was looking for in a relationship. I knew what I would be in for if I had delved into something more than friendship with him.

While waiting for Brody, listening to the plumbing in the house start, I wasn't sure what to do. Did I wait where I sat? Did I watch TV? Did I sticky beak around and see what secrets Brody could have been hiding beneath his perfect bravado?

Bravely, I stood and began sauntering around the room, taking everything in.

The longer I was alone, the further I wandered. So far I had discovered the sitting room off the entrance hallway, one guest bedroom, a study room, and a bathroom towards the front of the house. I examined pictures that I found around the house hung on the walls, most of family group shots, some of Brody's car down at the track.