43 | A N E S T H E T I Z E D

Start from the beginning

Rubbing my hands on my thighs, I puffed the air out of my cheeks in a slight pout. How was he able to sit down with me and have a normal conversation when today was Jillian's funeral? I found it to be extremely odd. How was he even able to look at me right now? A light bulb lit in my mind and I almost wanted to laugh at myself.

Of course.

We were just in the club. It all made sense now. He had too much to drink and he was not thinking clearly. If he was sober, he would not be out here with me on a bench. Then again, he was acting very sober. I only saw him with one drink and even then, he messed it up by squeezing the lemon into it.

That meant he was sober.

And he wanted to be out here with me.

"So," he leaned back against the bench. "What are your plans for tomorrow?"

"My plans?" I raised my eyebrows. "I haven't really thought about it."

"Let's meet up for coffee."

"Coffee, eh?" I laughed. "We're always drinking coffee."

"I'm sorry but I don't recall ever having coffee with you, Sydney." I shoved him and he grunted. "Okay, ouch."

"I'm not sorry."

"Meet me for coffee tomorrow morning," he pressed on. "We can pretend to have mild hangovers and coffee is our only solution."

I rubbed my chin as I thought about it. Tomorrow was going to be my first day at my new job but I did not have to be there until four. If I met Harry in the morning and got back home by two o'clock, I would have enough time to get ready for work and look somewhat presentable.

"Am I allowed to wear sunglasses indoors and look like a bum?"

"As long as I'm allowed to flirt with the waitress even though I won't be interested."

"What if it's a waiter?"

"Don't test me, woman."

"Deal," I smirked.

We both laughed and he laid his head back down on my shoulder. I enjoyed this and I never wanted it to end. I stroked his hair, missing the soft touch of it. Of course, I was probably dreaming and I was probably going to wake up in my bed back at Olivia's apartment. I would not have minded, though. This dream was remarkable and I loved every second. Although it seemed nearly impossible, I had Harry back and I was never going to let him go. He was stuck with me and I was stuck with him. We were glued together with the toughest glue out there. It would take a lot to rip us apart.

"I don't want to be selfish," Harry said.

"What do you mean?" I wondered.

He lifted his head off my shoulder and looked at me, "I know being selfish isn't right but I can't help but be selfish when it comes down to you." I raised my eyebrows. "Jillian is gone but here I am spending my evening with you. I'm supposed to be with Greysen but instead I'm sitting on a bench with you. Somehow, it's always you. Something about you is constantly pulling me in your direction and I've learned not to fight it anymore. I've learned to just let it pull and see what happens.

"I've come to realize one simply cannot put a price on such a beloved jewel. You're a priceless jewel, Sydney, so precious that its value cannot be determined. If I could, I would keep you all to myself and never share you with the rest of the world. See? There I am being selfish with you when I shouldn't be. I don't deserve you and I think we both know that. After everything that's happened, it's obvious you shouldn't be with me."