Chapter Fourteen

Sitting down by the fire, like we're trying to smoke Katniss out as if she's an animal, will probably be the longest night of my life. I hear the sounds of various insects. The chirrup of crickets. The buzz of flies. Because they're familiar sounds, sounds of 12- of home- they seem taunting. These sounds are the only things here I can link to home. Apart from Katniss - but we're not exactly on speaking terms at the moment.

      Shifting uncomfortably, I turn to look at the others. Unlike me they seem quite settled: already they are taking food from their packs. But I do notice Cato's movements are staccato; like a hunted rabbit. He appreciates the danger of the situation.

      Again, I gaze up at the tree holding Katniss. Through the dark I think I see her, but mixed with the trees like a watercolour painting I cannot be sure.

      My hand fingers my knife guiltly. If I had just followed Haymitch's plans instead of bullishly making my own I could have prevented this. Couldn't I?

      And my plans- of being true to myself; not allowing President Snow to change me- they have failed. Or have they? While I'm with the Careers and having to hide behind a mask of deceit, it's all for Katniss. So maybe my plans haven't failed.

      Ugh. My thoughts are raddled. I need to distract myself.

      "Cato?" I say.

      Cato visibly flinches. "Yes?" he replies, composing himself well.

     "What are we going to do after this?" At least this will give the impression that I intend to stay with them instead of running off with Katniss.

      "Well. After we kill Katniss,  we'll just have to see. I think we should return to the Cornucopia and sit it out. Tributes will come there when they get desperate- like moths to flames. But playing with fire is certain to get you burned."

      Instead of finishing his impressive speech with a flourish, Cato stares into space, in a world only he knows. "Just like you are!" With that his vision focuses on me again and his eyes are now wide. "You don't belong here, Lover Boy."

      "W-what?" Momentarily stunned I have no idea how to respond to that! Has he really caught me out? How long has he known? All along? If so that means he has had more time to plan my demise...

      "You belong with Katniss, and the tributes from 3. The underdogs. The failures. Sure, you got a good score- which teaches us not to underestimate you- but do you have the right mindset? You haven't killed anyone-"

      I manage to interrupt. "I killed that District 8 tribute you didn't manage to finish off!"

      "A mercy killing," he states. I see a smile creeping on his face. Does he enjoy tormenting me?

      "Because I didn't want the world to detest me." I lean in, whispering, wanting just Cato to hear it, not the cameras- and so the whole of Panem. "Haymitch and Effie made us up so we appear nice and sweet. The best of friends. Do you know how hard it is to escape from that image? No one expected me to join you. But I did. Now I have no sponsors. Probably because the whole world is disgusted with my 'betrayal'. They expected us- Katniss and I- to stick together. But in the arena it's a whole different story. There's no room for alliances. It's every man for himself. They need to learn that we don't soley exist for their pleasure. It might be a mere game for them but for us... It's our lives at stake." I feel horror at being able to lie so easily.

      Cato digests this, then, lets out a low chuckle. "Very good, Lover Boy. Very good. But I was just messing with you." I recall the beginnings of his smile earlier. He gives me a gentle shove. "You're on for first watch." And with that, he walks away, carelessly chucking a branch into the fire, watching it burn.