✧ 2 3 ✧

A knock on the door caused everyone in the living room to jump

A knock on the door caused everyone in the living room to jump. We all looked between each other before I hauled myself up from Danny's grasp with a sigh, stretching my stiff muscles. Jack, Henley, Merritt, Daniel and I had decided on having a lazy Sunday morning watching a couple of movies. I shuffled over to the door, almost slipping on the hardwood floors because of the fluffy socks adorning my feet. I looked through the peep hole, my eyes widening when I saw my mother standing on the other side, a covered tray of food in her hands. I spun around to The Horsemen who were all looking at me.

"Hide!" I whispered and make a shooing gesture with my hands.

"Ellie! Honey, I know you're in there." She called, rapping her knuckles against the door once more as they all fled, Jack jumping behind the couch with Henley whilst Merritt hid in the kitchen pantry and Daniel ran over to the coat closet.

I tugged the door open with a wide smile, "Hi mum!" I moved aside and let her in, taking the warm tray from her and moving to put it in the kitchen.

"What took you so long?" She asked, "It's freezing out there."

"I couldn't hear you knocking," I called, "Sorry!" I searched for a place to put the tray before the pantry opened. I jumped as Merritt's hand came out to take it. I rolled my eyes and handed it to him before the pantry closed again quickly.

"Ellie?" Mum called cautiously as I began walking through the house towards her.

"Yeah?" I said before noticing what she was talking about. Her thick, cream coat was fisted tightly in her hand whilst she stood frozen in front of a very tense Daniel Atlas, the pair just staring at each other waiting for the other to make a move.

I laughed awkwardly before stepping in front of her, covering her view of Daniel since she was a bit shorter than me, "Who is that?" She questioned, her voice wavering with confusion.

"That's my boyfriend." I reached out, grabbing him and pulling him forward to my side, "His name's...E-Evan?" Daniel nodded quickly.

Her eyes narrowed at me, "Evan what?"

"Peters." I spluttered out the first name that came to my head and she raised an eyebrow at me before turning to Daniel.

"What do you do, Evan?" She inquired, crossing her arms across her chest, "Because you look an awful lot like Daniel Atlas, that magician fella that Ellie was dating."

He chuckled fakely, "Yeah, I get that a lot. I guess she has a type for attractive men who look like magicians." I elbowed him which mum was quick to catch onto so I gave her a quick smile.

She opened her mouth to speak but I was quick to interrupt, "How about a tour mum?" Before she could tell me she's been here before I led her into the kitchen. She and 'Evan' followed. My eyes widened when I saw Merritt's arm reaching out of the pantry, putting the empty tray on the bench. I rushed forward slamming my back against the pantry door.

"Sorry!" I squeaked quietly.

"Shit!" Merritt swore as the door hit his arm, trapping it there. Mum's head snapped over to me with wide eyes.

"Who was that, Ellie?" She asked as Merritt tugged his arm back through the pantry door, causing me to lurch backwards. I laughed nervously.

"That was me," I said, "I just...realised that I love you very much, mum. Do I ever tell you that?" She raised an eyebrow, I took a deep breath and looked around the room. "So this is the kitchen..."

"That's a lot of plates for one person." She commented, looking towards the sink, "You were always very good at your chores, Elle." I nodded and it was true, I was always one for sticking to my chores without complaint but that was mainly out of fear of my dad, worried that he'd take out any anger on me or my mum.

"Well...D-Evan's been over a lot, too." I added. She hummed in thought before nodding, though I could tell she wasn't convinced. "Do you wanna see another room?"

"You do realise I've been here before, right, Ellie? I helped you buy this place..." She frowned and pressed the back of her hand against my forehead, I rolled my eyes and chuckled, brushing her hand away.

"I'm fine mum."

"Evan, if you don't mind, I'd like to sit down with my daughter." She said with a huff and he nodded, staying in the kitchen as she walked into the lounge room. My eyes widened and I jogged towards her just in time to enter with her and see Henley and Jack's head bob down. She sat down on the couch, her back to the couch Jack and Henley were hiding behind before patting the seat next to her. I sat beside her, facing the couch, watching their heads tentatively pop up above the couch. She caught my eye and followed my gaze as they bobbed back down. "Are you sure you're okay, dear?"

I nodded, "I'm okay, I swear, I'm just a little tired. I've been on a lot of cases recently." She sighed.

"I'm sorry, Ellie, I just love you and I get worried, especially after what happened with your father..." She chuckled mirthlessly and brushed away a few tears. "You were such a strong little girl but I was terrible mother, I was so weak," My heart broke as she spoke, completely forgetting about the two people behind the couch. Her head dropped into her hands, "I should have been taking care of your but instead it was the other way around and I'm so sorry for that. I'm sorry you were in the situation with your father-"

"Mum," I whispered, interrupting her. "There was no way you could have guessed what he would turn into. You can't blame yourself for that." She smiled up at me with teary eyes before her hands grasped the sides of my face gently with teary eyes,

"I'm very proud of you, dear."

"Thanks, mum." I breathed, trying to hold in my own tears.

"You know I love you, don't you?" I nodded, "And you trust me?" I nodded again and she did the same in return, "Good, then you won't mind me asking who's hiding in your house."

I pretty much choked on my breath. "I-In the house? There's no one in the house...no-one whatsoever. If you think about it, are we even in the house? You know because atoms repel each other naturally so we're never really touching anything-"

"Ellie," She began, "You know you can't lie to your mother."

"Sorry, mum, I can't say."

She narrowed her eyes at me as if she were trying to see the answer in my eyes, "It's those Horsemen isn't it?"

"What? No!" I scoffed and she nodded, patting my cheek as she stood. I quickly followed after her to the front door.

"That's all I need as an answer." I sighed and hung my head, pinching the bridge of my nose. "Don't worry, I won't say anything," She assured me as she opened the door for herself. "But I expect to be invited over again soon so I can properly meet them." She waved a teasing finger at my face before adding, "You're lucky I have that brunch with Maggie." I chuckled and after saying our goodbyes she left, the door closing behind her.

I sighed in relief, pressing my back against the white door, "Clear!" I called through the house and one by one, the Horsemen made their way over.

Merritt clapped his hands with a somewhat awkward chuckle, "Well that was a close one, wasn't it?"

A/N:

I'm not sure about this chapter!!! idk if I like it!! Oh well, hope you guys enjoyed it :D

​​​​​​​x Clara