✧ 1 5 ✧

Dylan had left about 5 minutes ago, having to talk to the rest of the team, leaving me up here alone. I sighed, dropping my head with a groan before I stared at the theatre in front of me, knowing Daniel was in there preparing for his show. He was so close but at the same time, we couldn't be further away from each other. Both us are, as cliché as it sounds, on different sides of the law. Which was something you should never really be on separate sides of.

"Elle?" I turned my head to see it'd been Alma who called for me. "We're leaving." I nodded and she walked back into the apartment. I looked down at the crowds of people lining the streets, some flooding into the theatre whereas others were hanging around for Mardi Gras. I took one final look at the glittering lights, taking a deep breath in as I prepared myself. I drummed my hands on the railing before backing up and stepping into the house.

...

Ladies and gentlemen," A voice over the PA spoke. "The Savoy management welcomes you to tonight's special performance, The Four Horsemen, Act Two. Unlike traditional performances, The Four Horsemen encourage you to film, call your friends, upload, stream, and tweet the show freely. Thank you. The show will begin in a few minutes."

I took my seat and could feel Dylan's nervous energy radiating from him on my right. Alma was next to him and in the seat next to the isle. I tapped my leg, Dylan's anxiety flooding into me, though I knew we were nervous for different reasons. But I couldn't help but be excited. I'd always loved going to shows whether they were Atlas' shows or musicals, plays and ballets. Daniel, of course, knew this and frequently took me to them. I didn't think I'd end up here for my job though, in a theatre about to watch him commit a crime. The woman next to me eyed me hesitantly, obviously suspicious as to why Dylan and I were so nervous. I apologised quickly and she smiled awkwardly at me with a small nod.

"Nice watch." Alma complimented Dylan who was looking around the theatre.

"It's a family heirloom." He answered, straightening out his tie.

"By the way, I know how Shrike did that trick." Dray said, I leant forward curiously.

"How?"

"When he was 14, he saw a hole in a tree in Central Park. He had a guy who worked at the carousel sign a card for what looked like a routine little trick."

"And?" Dylan prompted.

"At the guy's retirement, 18 years later, Shrike performs, has the guy sign a card,

and presto!" She grins.

"The card is in the tree." Dylan said/

"It was in the tree for 18 years." Alma added excitedly.

"The card was in the tree." Dylan repeated. "The tree grew around the card in 18 years. I mean, that isn't magic. It's not magic."

"Dylan, you're not getting the point." I rolled my eyes and Alma nodded.

"The point is, the trick was not to look closely. It was to look so far that you see 20 years into the past. After Shrike drowned, they never found the body." She told him and Dylan stared at her for a moment.

"What are you suggesting?" He asked and before she could reply the lights dimmed.

"Arthur Tressler presents...Jack Wilder," A spotlight switched on, illuminating the young boy. "Henley Reeves," Another. "Merritt McKinney," And another before finally, one last person remained. "And Daniel Atlas." I tried to keep my expression as neutral as possible but I still felt a small flame of pride flicker in my chest. He'd always wanted to be where he is now, in front of a crowd. It was just a shame he was going to break the law to do so. "The Four Horsemen."