"I see I'm not the only nervous one." Omeed teased as they joined princess Zubaida who led them through a secret path.

"I don't want this surprise ruined, so we will go ahead as planned." Zubaida spoke to Omeed who was covered in drapes of fabrics. Her hair was done creatively in a up do so was covered.

"Luckily it's the winter season else you will be suffocating underneath these clothing." Zubaida murmured feeling sorry for Omeed.

"I will be alright your highness. You won't be disappointed." Omeed smirked as she spoke. Even though it was her first time performing with an audience, she believed without a doubt that she'd do well.

The feast started from late afternoon in the open courtyard due to the amount of guests invited. Soon entertainment began, Afsoon and Farah performed special dances for Hafez. A few concubines sang with Hafez rewarding all of them greatly.

"Your majesty, due to my present condition," Zubaida touched her stomach with a smile as she spoke. "I cannot perform so I have arranged for someone else to represent me."

Princess Zubaida announced to the quiet courtyard as Hafez frowned. He was sat on his throne with Ramin and Amir very close.

"Royal sister, you didn't have to. Your presence would have been enough for me." He smiled for the first time that evening.

Everyone was aware of the strong bond they shared as siblings so it came as no surprise when she got a genuine smile. The only other person who gets that is Ramin.

"The performance is called, 'The graceful passion dance'." The crowd cheered but Zubaida silenced them immediately. "The performer would be playing the zither and flute." Hafez nodded as he wondered who this talented performer could be.

Omeed stepped forward as she performed her routine. She didn't dance to a Persian song but rather she infused what she had learnt during her stay in Ming dynasty. She dropped an item of clothing at various point she glided across the dance floor.

Omeed's arms were spread out like butterfly wings. She had everyone spellbound as her body moved gracefully whilst Feriha sang in the background.

She took off her head gear expertly leaving her eyes opened for all to see. Her veil now the only thing shielding her face from the scrutiny of the gawking crowd who seemed entranced by her every move.

 Hafez gasped recognising her as the lady merchant he had seen a few times. He beckoned Amir and Ramin closer as they watched enthralled by Omeed's performance as she soaked in the attention she was receiving.

Omeed decided it was time she caught a glance of this emperor she had heard stories about. She wanted to see how great a man he was to have been deemed attractive by all. She wanted to see her Pedar's choice. But most of all, she wanted to put a face to the name King Hafez of Persia.

With that in mind, Omeed looked towards the royal throne and her eyes met Hafez's who held her gaze. Her steps momentarily fumbled before she immediately composed herself. She couldn't believe the man she had seen a few times and had thought attractive was the king of Persia.

The man that makes her heart skip a beat each time she thought of him.

Cussing her fate, Omeed took her eyes off Hafez but then they landed on Ramin and Amir. At that moment she felt her world coming to a stand still.

How could this happen? How could my first brush with love be the man I was suppose to marry? Why did the heavens play such awful trick with me? She asked herself these questions once she recognised Ramin and Amir immediately.

Her dance came to an end as everyone cheered. Her zither and flute were brought forward so she sat and played the zither with tears brimming down her cheeks. She cried for everything that she'd gone through, she cried for her stupidity and most of all she cried for her ill fated love.

The time came for her play her flute. Omeed at that moment wasn't thinking straight all she could think of was a young Hafez sat on the pavement at the health centre as he played his flute. Before she could chastise herself, she started playing the same song he had taught her all those years ago.

Omeed saw the recognition in Hafez's eyes at that moment her veil dropped on its own accord. She was too engrossed to bother shielding her face from hundreds of eyes that were on her. She could barely hear them commend her beauty.

Hafez had tears in his eyes as he stared at the young lady in front of him, his heart hammers frantically he could hear the murmurs around him but his eyes remained on Omeed. He had seen her tears and he had seen the look of recognition when she stared at them.

"Your--your majesty, it is lady Omeed." Amir said quietly, he was afraid she might disappear into thin air if he spoke out loudly.

"Yes your majesty it is her. I will recognise her anywhere I saw her." Ramin said excitedly. He always thought Omeed his life saviour and her face has been etched in his mind for years.One he could never forget.

"I know it's her, I taught her this song. She's playing for me, she wants me to remember her." Hafez sighed dreamingly as the song came to an end. Omeed stepped forward as men drooled, women gaped at her beauty some in spite and others in awe.

Hafez felt enraged as he threw murderous glare their way he hated listening to them speak of her. Jealousy he didn't know he was capable of flowed in his blood stream. But Amir quickly reminded him Omeed was stood in front of him.

"Your majesty happy birthday." Omeed curtsied as the crowd fell silent. Hafez didn't know if she was alright with being recognised or she wanted to keep her identity a secret. Before he could utter her name he saw her send a smile towards Ramin and a glare Amir's way.

"Your majesty, please bestow this beautiful maiden to me." Hafez heard his half brother say loudly. "With her by my side I will win any battle." He jested much to Hafez's disgust.

"Your majesty can I have her please?" Another person said, this time a minister. Everyone knew Hafez wasn't a womaniser so it came as no surprise when they asked him to bestow Omeed to them.

Zubaida thought otherwise. She had watched her brother from the moment Omeed started dancing until her face was revealed. She had seen the tears in both their eyes and had watched Omeed as a look of recognition spread across their faces.

For the first time in Zubaida's life she had noticed a new kind of expression in her brother's face. It was one of love, adoration and hope. Something her brother was incapable of before now.

"I think they know each other." Zubaida heard her loving husband say. He was sat next to her. Zubaida nodded her head in agreement.

"What is your name my lady?" Hafez wanted her to tell the court, he wanted her to acknowledge what he already knew. He wanted her to show the court she was his.

With a sigh Omeed said. "I am Omeed your majesty. Although years ago I did use the name Zoya when we met." She smiled sweetly.

"O--Omeed?" Omeed's uncle the present Nazir stated. He had thought she looked familiar but knowing his little niece hated anything feminine he convinced himself it wasn't her. "Child is that really you?" Her uncle approached her.

"Yes uncle it is I." Hafez stood up abruptly pulling Omeed into an embrace as she gasped. She struggled to get out of his grip as people murmured. This was the first time they had ever seen the king behave so unashamedly in front of an audience.

"What took you so long?" He breathed deeply as he took in the smell of jasmine. "I have waited for six years Omeed." She stopped fighting him when he said that.

"I am sorry, I didn't know. Sorry I am late." She apologised profusely. They have so much to talk about but for now, an apology will suffice.

Author's note: There you have it...please tell me what you think !!!

More drama next chapter because someone is back....

Photo of Omeed after her veil fell on the side....