Chapter 22 - Valiant

Start from the beginning

            “I know what the syllabus says, your question?” Ms. Atwood raised an eyebrow.

            “Well, I don’t see any coverage of same-sex marriage in here. I mean, it’s legal in California and I think that is a huge chunk of it.” Rica pointed out, “I’m just wondering if it will be supplemented with reading or….an assignment.”

            “No, that is not the norm, we will only be looking at the laws that are really affecting America as a whole,” Ms. Atwood spat back, “but if you feel so inclined, please on your free time write something about it. Now, I need to teach class so please let’s continue.”

            “You didn’t need to call on me.” Rica muttered just loud enough for the class and Ms. Atwood to hear.

            “Excuse me?” Ms. Atwood questioned.

            “Just, if you need to teach the class you could have just kept teaching instead of calling on me.” Rica continued.

            “Ms. Feldman, please take yourself and your bag to the principal’s office.” Ms. Atwood ordered. “And I will be calling them making sure you arrived.”

***

Class ended and Ford hurried to the principal’s office but Rica was nowhere in sight. He thought about where he would want to go if he got in trouble. Hurrying to the back of the school he smelled marijuana and expected Hudson but found Rica smoking it and sobbing.

“Hey, you all right?” Ford walked up to the girl.

Rica looked at him for a moment then finished her joint throwing it on the ground and stepping it out, “I’m fine.”

“She is a bitch. She really is. I can tell that class is going to be a joke.”

“I know right,” Rica gave a weak half smile. “You’re Ford right? What do you want?”

Rica got right to the point, Ford was taken aback slightly, “What you said in class was great. I wish I had the courage to speak up like that.”

“Right,” Rica nodded. “Our world is just really messed up. I mean look, I got sent to the principal’s office for asking a question. Aren’t we supposed to ask questions?” Rica shook her head, “whatever I’m not going and my parents don’t care.”

            Ford took in her words and didn’t know what to say to the angst filled teenager. “I’m sorry to hear that,” was all he could muster up. “I mean, my parents…don’t really care either.” Ford looked as Rica leaned against the wall, relaxed from the weed but still sad.

            “That sounds about right, cause your gay?” Rica looked at Ford.

            “That’s part of it.” Ford answered, “How’d you know I’m gay?”
            “Well, there are basically three of us in the school. That and Levi and you are the golden couple. I don’t know how you can stand sitting with that group.” Rica added.

            “I can’t,” Ford laughed then raised his head. Around the corner came a giant ruby red samurai suit of armor. In it, a growling green face with glowing blue eyes. It raised its sword to strike Rica. “Watch out,” Ford pulled his hand forward while simultaneously jumping creating two gusts of wind. The first pulling Rica forward and the second lifting him up into a kick. Planting his foot right on the armor the samurai didn’t budge.  Ford back flipped off the samurai’s chest landing in a defensive position.