I don't think I ever saw my mom look so happy in her life, well, at least not for a while. Not saying that she was miserable, because there was my dad for example. She always brightened up at his arrival, and there was that one time when my dad made the announcement one lazy Sunday that we were moving. This time, I could tell she was trying very hard to conceal it. Her baby was finally making friends, at last!

She oh-so-conveniently happened to be passing the front door, as if about to head up the stairs when we met. Very 50's sitcom like; she half casually turned, "Oh . . . you're home."

"Hi mom." I shut the front door behind and started taking off my shoes.

"How was it?"

How was I going to answer that? Luckily I was stuck with my head bent while fighting with my right foot to come out my shoe. I think it might have swollen even more.

"Um," I was picking words carefully, "It was interesting."

"Interesting?" I could hear her gleeful smile, without having to look at her. Luckily for her, her happiness was contagious, very similar to Benjamin.

"Yeah," I replied and adding, "I learned a bit about family history. Did you know I go to the same school as the boys, Apostol and the Dvorak?"

"No." I don't think she had to fake her answer or add any extra sugar topping to it. "Are they supposed to be famous?"

I had finally gotten the other shoe off and was able to look at her.

"Well, apparently back in the day, they were the families who helped put real life vampires in their place." I gave a look as if I believed it. I could easily tell my mom was doing the same.

"Get out." She said it as if it were two wholly different syllables, but made it sound stiff instead of trendy. My mom wasn't that up to date with current English slang.

"Yeah, and the Lockharts -- that was the youngest Lockhart that I know you saw me with out there, in case you were wondering -- came to America just two years after the Salem Witch Trials."

"Whoa. Get. Out." I didn't comment on the lack of emotion she was supposed to put into those words. "So will we get to meet him anytime soon?"

She looked maybe a bit too eager, as if she suspected or thought...

"Mom, mom, calm down. He's straight."

That didn't seem to convince her. She gave two thumbs up, again trying to be trendy but failing miserably. "That's what all say at first."

And at that, I was left at the foot of the stairs to my thoughts.

Later that night, I was sure I tossed and turned in my sleep. I dreamt of a different time and a different place. I found myself in the middle of a town square that was actually shaped like a square. Timber structures of wattle and daub, and thatched roofs dominated the landscape. People, villagers I assumed, were running all over the place. It was daytime, but the sky was overcast a lot like the weather was yesterday.