Visibility (35)

Zelda looked down at her arms. Though she could still see them, her skin and clothes were oddly opaque.

Seriously? Of all the times to happen.... DID IT HAVE TO BE RIGHT NOW?

RIGHT NOW?

"The heck..." she mumbled.

Link bit his lip but he started to laugh anyways. "Well then..." he said, running his hands along her unseen shoulders. "I guess your powers are finally starting to appear..." He smirked. "...or disappear."

She snorted and broke out into laughter. "What a time to show up."

Disembodied laughter might be a little disconcerting to him, she thought in her amusement.

"Actually..." he paused and looked thoughtful. "This," he hesitated and gestured between them, "could be why it happened," he said. "They must be connected to your emotions."

She raised an eyebrow. Connected to my emotions? she thought. I guess that could be... I was certainly feeling quite a lot of things a minute ago. Dang though, why did it have to interrupt?

"So... now I... just have to figure out how to become visible again."

"...yeah."

She started to laugh again. "I could have a very successful life in crime now."

"Haven't you already?" he asked.

"Stealing from that gang does not count."

"Doesn't it?" he asked with a roll of his eyes. "And what about being on the run from Hyrule, does that not count either?"

She rolled her eyes as well, not that he could see, and then she stood up. "I have no idea where to start with this...how am I supposed to know how to control this?"

"If only there was a manual."

"Ahh," she sighed. "I wish."

"Try thinking about it?"

She laughed again. "Oh yeah, cause that'll-"

"-work," he finished for her.

... It worked? How... "That was too easy."

"But it worked; don't complain," he said with a smile.

"Oh, I'm not," she said, holding up her hand as she tried to go invisible again.

"Okay, that hurts my eyes... and my brain," he said as he raised his hand to block the sight of her flashing in and out of his vision.

"If all the powers are this easy to control, maybe we do have a chance after all." She turned to him with a smile, then realized she was still invisible and flipped it off like a mental switch.

"Powers don't usually disobey their goddess," he said.

"Well then, how about they all manifest right now then?" she asked as she held out her arms at her sides. "Huh? No? Alright, fine," she said with a sigh.

She turned and smiled at him.

He grinned in return.

---

Their new stwords were thicker and heavier than the last ones, but still nowhere near a real sword. Link had let her practice with his summoned blade at times, but for the most part, they worked on the movements and technique rather than worry about the weight.

Zelda waited for him to make the first move, as usual, and she parried the thrust. Stepping forward she struck at his head, then when he went to block it, she flashed invisible and struck him on the side. She reappeared with her stick pressed against his throat.

"No fair," he said.

"Oh yes it is," she replied, "If you get to use your wings, then I get to kick your butt with my invisibility."

Which she did.

Over and over again.

At least until Link got used to her new way of fighting and began to anticipate what she would do, even when she was invisible. He could see her foot compressing the grass, and used that to plan his defense. Or he just stopped her before she used her new trick.

During one of their battles, Zelda dodged a blow and then struck back. He ducked and then lunged forwards. She turned invisible, but that didn't stop him from catching her.

"Only use it when you know you can win... otherwise they can still get you, and you lose the element of surprise," he said.

"I'll be sure to make a note of that," she said, whispering her reply across his ear.

He jumped back, and she laughed, turning visible again. "I just like being able to beat you a few times."

Link smirked. "I'm sure," he replied. "But I'm not the ones you're trying to beat. We're trying to best fully equipped knights who may be better than I am."

She stepped forwards, flashing invisible again. "Better than you?" she asked.

"There are some," he replied, stepping forward, arms outstretched.

"I don't think so," she replied, then laughed as his arms wrapped around her.

He dropped his stword and grabbed her waist, lifting her still invisible body into the air.

She wrapped her legs around his back so she wouldn't fall, then she flashed visible. "You've gotten more confident," she commented as she snaked her arms around his neck.

Memories of her father giving her a piggy back ride flashed into her mind, and she chuckled with a smile as she compared the two scenes.

Link leaned in and kissed her.

Very different situations, she thought as she tilted her head to the side, one of her hands moving to the back of his head.

When Link finally set her down again, her legs gave way and she stumbled to the ground. She began to laugh.

"Oh dear, what did I do to you," he said as he pulled her back up.

"Swept me off my feet I guess," she giggled.

He smiled. "Let's go make some lunch."

She nodded, and they trailed back to the cabin together.

As they crossed the porch, the light above them flickered off.

Zelda looked up at it and frowned.

"What happened? Did it trip?"

She shook her head. "Can't have... that only happens when you turn it on."

"Do we have any replacements?"

"I don't know, I'll go check," she said as she walked inside.

She was almost to the closet when Link yelled, "Wait it turned back on."

"What?" she asked as she stepped back towards him.

It flickered off again.

"Step back," Link said.

She took a step back and the light flickered back on.

"I think you're doing that."

"Another power?"

"I hope so."