Worth (32)

Zelda pulled on his arm.

He resisted. "...what are you... what are you trying to do, Zelda?"

Zelda looked away for a moment. "I... I don't know."

Link tried to move away again, but her grip only tightened.

"You don't know what you're doing," he said in a quiet voice.

"...I just... said that," she replied, then bit her lip.

"It-" his voice died as she raised one hand and grabbed the collar of his shirt. His eyes widened. "You can't..."

"Why not?"

"I'm just... I'm not..."

"Spit it out," she snapped.

"I'm not worth it."

What? Her brows pulled together in confusion.

Zelda pulled down on his collar, leaning up at the same time. She didn't give him time to run away, didn't give him any warning, she only pressed her lips to his.

He was frozen.

She dropped back to the grass to look at him.

He was slack-jawed, wide-eyed, and he didn't seem to remember how to breathe.

"You may have it in your head that you're not, but you're wrong," she said, her fingers tightening around his arm while her other hand dropped its hold on his shirt. "We're in this together, remember?" she said. "Both of us. As equals. Meaning if you aren't worth it... then I'm not either."

Link hovered over her for another few seconds after she finished speaking. His wide eyes slowly closed... then he dropped to the ground beside her, his hands raising to cover his face.

"Link?" she started with a frown. Sitting up, she looked down at him. "You okay?" she asked, almost feeling bad... had she... had she done the wrong thing?

He shook his head.

She noticed his fingers trembling, and his shoulders were shaking against the ground. "Link, are you..." She bit her tongue, but that didn't stop the words from coming out. "...crying?"

He gave no response.

After what seemed like an age and half, Link sat up, his arm over his face. "I'm sorry..." he said rubbing his sleeve against his eyes.

"There's nothing for you to apologize for... are you okay?" she asked again.

He nodded slowly, then looked up at her with red eyes. "I'm..." he shook his head, looking down.

There was a long silence.

"So then..." she started, her face burning, and her nervousness getting the better of her, "dinner?"

Link nodded, but then he caught one of her hands when she started to walk back towards the cabin. "I..."

She stopped and turned back to him.

"You..." He closed his eyes. "I don't know how to speak..." he said with a small, strained laugh.

"Take your time," she replied with a smile.

He glanced to the side, avoiding looking at her for a moment.

Her head was tilted to the side as she waited for him to find his words.

Apparently, he didn't. "Let's... let's go make dinner," he said.