~19~

Chapter 19 // Dead In Ditches

     "Bloody hell."
     "Shut up," you whisper to Flare.
     "There's too many of them," Flare says and she begins to feel for the grenade in her back pocket. You glare at her.
     "Not yet, they'll know if you do," you command and she sighs, disappointed.
     "Fine," she finally says. Just then, her face lit up as if she remembered something. "What happened between you and Carl yesterday?"
      "I told you to shut up," you say as the memory comes flooding back.

...

"She must have her reasons."

"Carl, you must understand that she's dangerous and you must protect the group. It will always be the group before her."

Your blood starts to boil. Angrily, you open the door and stand right in front of Rick. You spit at him and he looks at you, shocked. Satisfied with his reaction, you walk off. Carl tails after you. Rick wasn't going to tell Carl the whole story.

"Why?" Carl asks. You hear his voice and shiver. It was soothing, relaxing. He stops you by grabbing a hold of your hand. "Why did you do it?"

And so you tell him. Everything. About the man, about the bank and about the ride home. You told him even though you knew. Even though you knew Rick was listening. It was exactly what you wanted. A taste of his own sweet medicine.

...

     "Oh...okay. I understand," Flare suddenly speaks.
     "Understand what?" you reply confused.
     "I hope you do realize you said everything out loud," she smirks.
     "Asshole," you say, wishing you had just kept everything to yourself.
     "C'mon...we're sisters. Partners in crime," she whines, restating our relationship. "You're supposed to tell me everything."
     "Yeah, but everyone has secrets. You do too. Don't even bother with denying it," you say.
     "Okay, fine. You got me there. Shit," Flare responds and she freezes in her spot. "They know we're here."
     "Come on out, we won't bite. It was nice for you to choose this fancy area. I like it, so I'll take it," a Savior states loudly.
      "Take the money and leave," you say and come out of the shadows.
      "What if..." he walks slowly towards you. Every footstep was heard and it only grows louder. "I were to tell you..."
     "Tell me what?" you say rapidly. You signal Flare to be ready as back up.
     "There is no cure?" he finally finished.
     "Then I'd leave," you reply finally. Your entire body itches. You had to urge to kill him.
     "Let me count the money. Then..." he instructs. "I'll give you the cure."
     He held on to a dark purple chemical. It was in the form of a syringe. Something was not right. You look at the guy straight in the eyes before you follow him. He kept his poker face, not even bothering to change it. He meant business, yet you didn't trust him.
      "How do I know if it works or not?" you ask smartly.
      "You don't. That's just a risk you have to take," he replies. "The name's Negan by the way. I lead the Saviors. Pleasure doing business with your pretty face."
      You throw the duffel bag Flare hands you on to the dusty floor in front of him. Sand explodes, flying everywhere. It makes everything harder to see. As soon as it all clears, Negan looks at it and instructs his partner to unzip it. That's when you dart outside. You can hear the explosion behind you, but do not look back. Not even once. You already knew what the dark substance was. Poison.
      "What are we going to tell Rick?" Flare questions as she drives. You had made a narrow escape.
      "Exactly what happened," you respond.
      "I don't know...they'll be disappointed. Carl will be too," she replies.
      "What are you trying to say?" you ask even though you already know why. Silence. You look outside, counting the trees as they quickly zoom by.
     "That we lie," she tells you seriously.
     "And say we have the cure? They'll want to see it and what happens when we actually need it? What will happen when a member of our family becomes one of them and they need the cure?" the questions soon become endless. "It's too risky. Accept defeat."
     "Fine, but you'll be the one telling Rick," Flare reluctantly agrees.
     "Why?" you begin to argue.
     "Because Rick is not part of my family," she responds.
     "Flare!" you yell and she slams on the brakes.
     "How the hell..." Flare looks ahead, as shocked as you are.
     "Missed me?"
      It was the Saviors. They surround the vehicle with their motorcycles. You hear the loud roars of the engines. The name's Negan by the way. Negan signals for us to get out of the car. You look at Flare. She nods, gaining approval. You smirk as you reach for your shotguns.
     "Now...you see. I wouldn't do that if I were you," Negan says. It irritates you to listen to the sound of his disgusting voice.
     "Yeah, but you aren't me."
     "Luckily," he snaps and then lets out an annoying laugh.
     "Luckily you escaped the bomb," you continue for him, smirking.
     "I would like to describe that as very fortunate. We want the money, the vehicle and everything in it," Negan says, but he doesn't stop there. "And maybe you too. You're pretty decent looking."
      "Hell no."