chapter 10

i want to cry this is going to be so hard. also i'm trying to lighten the heaviness with my infamous horrifically dark humour. but also i'm only putting it in at small tiny levels.

harry's pov

i'm standing in the kitchen, a few feet away from a crying Jay, phone to her ear and her hand covering her mouth. her eyes are bloodshot with purple highlighting the soft wrinkles under her eyes, she has the same look in her eye as Louis did the day Rose died. my heart sank when she hung up the phone, looking at me desperately.

"harry come sit, please," she waved me over as she continued sobbing. i carefully pull out the chair across from her, sitting down i feel like hands starting to sweat, a lump forming in my throat.

"that was the doctor. they're referring us to an oncologist, Phoebe is scheduled for surgery tomorrow morning. they say they don't know what it is and don't want to say anything until i see them tomorrow, they say it as if i don't know what oncology means!" Jay wails out as she cries harder. i feel my eyes well up and i can't move.

i snap out of my trance and stand up, hurrying to the broken woman ahead of me, my arms pulling her into a hug as i take a seat next to her. the hot tears pour out, rolling down my cheeks and falling onto Jay's head that's buried into my chest. she's gripping my shirt so hard, struggling to breathe she pulls away, trying her best to quiet down as we hear footsteps coming from the stairwell.

i look up to see my sleepy boyfriend, in just a shirt and boxers, hair a mess as he tries to understand what he's looking at. eyes widening when he realises we're both crying, his mum's phone face down on the table. not a word needs to be said for him to understand his sister has cancer.

Louis falls to his knees, hands pulling to his face as he begins to cry, first his daughter dies, now his sister might? i let go of jay and head toward Louis who is beginning to sink further into the floor, kneeling beside him i gently guide him into my chest, crying with him.

-

Louis' pov

the next morning comes quicker than we wanted. Phoebe goes in for surgery in just a couple hours. she's so nervous as she's never had any type of procedure before. i'm going with them to the hospital to be there for mum. Harry said he would watch the kids, Ernest and Doris are being picked up by Dan at 3:30pm and Phoebe isn't expected to be finished surgery until around 5pm. they're saying 5-8 hours because of the placing of the tumour.

i finished getting into comfortable clothes, knowing it's going to be a very long day. i check myself in the mirror before turning to harry, he's still in his pyjamas.

"are you sure you're okay staying with the girls, and Ernie?" i wearily ask the taller lad coming toward me for a hug. he engulfs me in a hug, his scent calming my heart.

"yes, boo, we're going to go shopping and get our nails done. maybe even go to the movies," he said before planting a kiss on the top of my head and pulling away. my body feeling cold as he lets go, the anxiety creeping back in.

taking a deep breath as i leave the room, harry walking closely behind me as we go downstairs, i see Phoebe holding a puke bag and wearing some sunglasses. she's smiling though and trying to keep up with the conversation.

"rocking the shades, Phee, loving your accessory," i chuckle as i point to the bag. she laughs before violently throwing up. a stab of guilt hitting my heart before she smiles at me, something i haven't seen properly in a long time. i smile back as i flick the kettle on.

as it reaches 9:30 we start getting our shoes on, ready to drive an hour to the hospital. i kiss Harry goodbye and let mum and Phoebe walk out toward the car, waving to everyone i close the door. walking to the drivers side of the car felt strange as i haven't been the one to drive my mums car in a few years.