12:04

So I wrote this while trying to write a college essay . . . you can obviously tell which one got done first. *face pillows* But at least one application's already in! :D

In this interlude, the Defenders have an . . . interesting way to break the news to the Avengers, and it turns out the Time Lords still have something in common with their predecessors. ;)

Enjoy!

***

Clara poked her head out of the TARDIS, seeing they had materialized on the main lounge floor, except in one of the closets. She looked up and whispered, "FRIDAY?"

"Welcome back, Miss Oswald," FRIDAY's Irish voice told her. "Shall I inform the Avengers you have returned?"

Clara looked behind her, seeing the Maximoffs had sly smiles on their faces, and the Time Lords were smirking away. "Not yet, FRIDAY, we have a surprise," she said as they stepped out.

"Hello, FRIDAY," the Doctor said. "I'm the Doctor, and this is the Bad Wolf."

"You have regenerated," FRIDAY noted.

"And we want to play a prank on the other Avengers," Pietro smirked. "Please refrain from saying they are here while my sister, Clara, and I talk to them."

"Yes, Mr. Maximoff."

The three of them snickered before waving to the Time Lords. "You'll know?" Pietro asked.

"We'll be right behind you," the Doctor smirked, gesturing to their rings. "Perception filters."

Clara giggled, then took a deep breath. "Into character." In one second, the three of them went from gleeful and mischievous to sad and near tears. "OK," Clara swallowed. "Let's fool them."

The Doctor winked at Jessie as they walked right out the door. "Tell them the Maximoffs and Clara are here, FRIDAY," Wanda ordered.

"Yes, Miss Maximoff."

***

"Sir, the TARDIS carrying the Maximoffs and Miss Oswald has arrived. They are currently proceeding to your location."

All nine Avengers in the room - Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, Natasha Romanoff, Clint Barton, Saleen Harper, Martha Rogers-Jones, Vision, James Rhodes, and Sam Wilson - looked up, surprised. "What about the Doctor and J?" Tony asked in concern.

"They do not appear to be with them, sir."

"Oh, no," Saleen blanched.

A moment later, the doors to the lounge slid open, and Clara was first in the room, eyes puffy and red. "Clara?" Martha asked in concern, standing up. "What is it?"

"Wanda?" Steve's eyes went right to the Maximoffs, her eyes red with the same energy sparking at her fingertips, Pietro looking like he wanted to punch something. "Pietro?"

"Where are the Bad Wolf and the Doctor?" Vision asked softly, rising to his feet.

Clara cleared her throat. "Trenzalore," she answered thickly, making all their eyes widen. "We just came from Trenzalore."

"The Bad Wolf tricked us," Pietro said darkly, holding up a small device. "Told us to put this in the TARDIS. It brought us back here."

"They're dead," Wanda said shortly. "I felt it."

Saleen let out a noise similar to a cat being strangled, Natasha putting a hand on her shoulder. "Oh, my God," Clint closed his eyes.

"I'm so sorry," Steve stepped forward, and Clara hugged him gratefully, tears in her eyes.