Ocel tried to forge forward towards his attacker, even as he witnessed his own essence leaving his body. He roared as his skin cracked, dried, and started to flake. The added weight of his plate armour was also pulling him down as his body weakened under the draining spell. The draenei was impressive, persistent. Still he drove forward but his wielding of the mace was now erratic, his ability failing as was his health. Gul'dan's eyes flared, and twisting his hands he increased his thaumaturgy, its intensity causing the draenei to roar in pain. The paladin was nearly on his knees.

Erik on the flanks of the advance shouted warnings to the fighters who were at the edge of the leech. They looked towards their falling comrades and instantly pressed forward in a desperate attempt to stop Gul'dan.

Drew, hearing Erik ran to join in the attack, but Erik called out to Khadgar who had been blasting the demons that still approached over the rise. The Archmage looked round at the sound of Erik's voice and quickly teleported him and Drew away from the entrance of the Seat to the safety of his side.

 The Archmage looked round at the sound of Erik's voice and quickly teleported him and Drew away from the entrance of the Seat to the safety of his side

It was then he noticed the fighters at the entrance dying; including his lifelong friend and confidant, Ocel. The paladin stumbled and landed on his knees. His blue skin shrunken, dried and now grey. Khadgar tried to form a shield but the last of his friend's life source was now ebbing from his body at an accelerated rate. The last remaining light left Ocel's eyes and he slumped forward, a mere husk of the giant man he once was.

"No!" A roar of defiance and pain left the Archmage's lips and he started to conjure a ball of energy, arcane, frost and fire to avenge the death of his friend.

"Khadgar, open the portal to Suramar now." The dulcet tones of the naaru invaded his mind. He shook it aside, still focusing on his spell. His pain turned to anger as he saw Gul'dan laughing.

The orc's red eyes scanned the vast decimation of the allied forces. Lambs to the slaughter.

"Khadgar! Open the portal, or all is lost." The naaru's voice was authoritative making it crystal clear any personal loss was to be faced once the fight was over.

From the ridge, warlocks and mages ran forward firing destructive spells at Gul'dan, leaving Khadgar to focus on opening the portal. Fighting the racking sobs in his chest he did as was ordered by the naaru.

Erik and Drew stared in disbelief at the fallen body of Vindicator Ocel; both deeply affected by his loss and that of the vast numbers around him which the warlock had slaughtered. They looked up and saw Gul'dan being forced out from his hiding place by the incessant spells of the ally mages and warlocks. Gul'dan moved out - towards Sarah and the still encased body of Illidan. The outpouring of demons from the Seat of Command did not abate. They followed their leader as he shuffled towards the altar.

Drew noticed Sarah on her knees, arms outstretched as the naaru's radiance dimmed. He was overcome by a sense of dread and started towards the altar, Erik following quickly behind.