What If My Baby Dies?

A/N Thank you so much for all the kind messages you sent to me via my cousin. I'm working on getting better. Physically I am doing ok but emotionally it is so much harder to recover from this.

"Li?" Liam looked up at the sound of Louis soft voice.

"He's going to be OK. I mean, he's pretty sick but the doctor says he'll be OK." Liam said quietly then rubbed a hand over his face. "He's very dehydrated and he's got kidney problems but they're dealing with it. We can see him once they've got him settled in his room. I gotta call his Dad" Liam stood and wobbled shakily as the shock of everything finally hit him.

"Mate, I'll do it" Harry pushed Liam back down in the plastic waiting room chair. "You stay put and relax. Niall's in good hands now". Harry patted Liam's shoulder and walked away to make the necessary call.

"Horan Family?"  the voice of the nurse broke the quietness. All the boys looked up at her "If you'd follow me?". She turned and headed back through the swing doors, the young men following her as she led the way to the elevators. They all piled in and the nurse pressed the button for the fourth floor. "Niall is  in room 17. This way..." She stepped out briskly as the doors opened and led them down a short corridor into a  square lobby area that had doors on all four sides. She indicted one of the doors "Through there, gentlemen. He's sleeping at the moment so please don't do anything to disturb him." She smiled at them then walked to the nurses desk and sat down, busying herself immediately with the pile of charts on the desk.

Niall had his eyes shut when they entered his room, sleeping, as the nurse had said.  The boys took in the array of medical equipment surrounding their friend who looked so tiny in the hospital bed, his face as white as the sheet that covered him.They looked around and saw a couple of chairs which they quietly moved to the side of the bed. Harry and Liam sat but Louis stood next to the bed and took Niall's small hand into his own equally small one. He looked down at his friend and shook his head. Why had this happened to Niall? Of all of them, Niall was the sweetest, most innocent. He was the one who was constantly laughing and joking. Now he looked as pale as death itself. A tear slipped from Louis eye and he dashed it away, self consciously. He was too old to cry, he told himself firmly but his heart refused to believe that , and more tears followed.

Harry and Liam whispered quietly to each other then both stood.

"Lou, we're going to leave now and come back later, yeah?' Liam put a hand on Louis shoulder and guided him to sit in the chair he had just vacated. "We'll get some food and bring it back". Louis just nodded, not bothering to speak. Harry and Liam exchanged glances and left.

"Are either of you gentlemen Louis Tomlinson?" the nurse spoke as they passed her desk.

"No, I'm Harry..Harry Styles and this is Liam Payne. Louis is in with Niall right now. Do you need him?" Harry made to go back to Niall's room.

"No, no. It's fine.It's just we have had had confirmation from Mr Horan's father  that Mr Tomlinson is cleared to act for Niall if he isn't able to do so himself." The nurse told them. "I'll speak to him him myself. She stood.

"Great, that's a relief. Ni's parents are in Ireland. We're just going out for a short time. We'll be back, if that's OK?" Liam asked.

"Yes, There are no restrictions on visiting for Mr Horan  at present , although you will need to vacate his room during any examinations,treatments, or if it is in Mr Horan's best interests for visits to be denied." the nurse smiled at them and both men nodded in understanding. Bidding her a polite 'goodbye' they both headed out.

"You think Lou will be all right, Hazza?" Liam asked after they had walked for some minutes in silence. "He looked pretty upset."

"Knowing Lou, he's probably blaming himself for everything. I wish the media could see this tide of Louis. They label him with so many negative traits yet they never publish all the good stuff he does for others. He'll do anything for Nialler. We all would". Harry said firmly, Liam nodding in agreement.