Chapter 5 ~How Does She Do It?~

Start from the beginning

Ashlee walked in with Max behind her, "Mr. Lord, Miss Grant isn't here." He looked at Kara, "Oh, I'm here with Ashlee." Ashlee blushed and looked down and Winn glared at her, "Ashlee, can I talk to you about the firewall." She looked at him, "Winn, you know I'm not good with stuff like that. Maybe Max can help you. Kara, how's Carter? Is he okay? Do I need to call anyone and have stuff brought for him?", Kara smiled, "It's fine, I've got it." Ashlee smiled and looked Max, "Well alright, just give me a call if something happens." Kara nodded and the couple walked out, "I guess we found out the identity of Ash's mystery guy." Winn glared at James and the man chuckled.

"Why was the guy glaring at me?", she shrugged, "Winn? I'm not sure. I loved Winn, Winn loves Kara, Kara loves James, and James loves Lucy. It was a circle of unrequited love. I'm use to it, girls like me never get the guy, Max." He looked at her, "You used past tense, you don't love Winn?", she smiled, "Not anymore. Actually, I don't think I ever did. What I felt Winn didn't feel like love was suppose to. Let's get to lunch." He smiled at her, "In my office?", she smiled, "Of course."

She sat at his deck facing him and looking at the blueprints of his train, "You like trains?", she looked at him, "Would you believe me if I said I used to be a giant physics geek?", she stood up, "No, someone like you a geek?", she nodded, "Yeah." She stood up and walked over to the board, her arms crossed, he walked over to her and wrapped his arms around her. She smiled and he kissed her cheek, "What's going on in that pretty brain of yours." She smiled, "You're using electromagnetic propulsion." He smiled, "The lack of friction allows us to reach speeds of 500 kilometers per hour." She nodded, "So how do you keep the mag-coils from overheating? Liquid helium?", she turned in his arms and he smiled, "Yeah. No hazardous byproduct." She smiled at him, "Tell me something, Ashlee Morgan, why are you wasting that brain fetching layouts and coffee for Cat Grant?" She chuckled, "Cat, despite what people think, is a understanding and thoughtful woman. She found me on one of my worse days. My parents were killed when I was 14, I was placed in foster care but never really fit in until the Morgans adopted me. They were up their in age, they were almost like grandparents really. They both passed away nearly 6 years after adopting me and willed me everything. I was 19, in college, and didn't know what to do so I took an internship at Catco, one day I just broke down and fell apart in a hallway. Cat found me, and she really helped me. I didn't tell her why I was crying, but we grew close. After the internship I went back and finished my degree and came back to be the assistant to Cat Grant, she recognized my last name and hired me and Kara. I tell her a lot I never tell anyone else, and also if not for Cat where would we be?", he smiled at her and she smiled. "Mr. Lord, could you come down to level three?", they looked at each other and walked down to the level, "Security found it on a routine sweep of the floor." Ashlee looked at her, "Clear the building as quickly but as orderly as you can." The woman nodded and the workers left leaving Ashlee and Max, "Don't move it Max, it could go off." He looked her, "Sorry, I'm worried about everyone else but myself. My brain will catch up here in a second.", he smiled at her, "It's my technology, trust me, I know which wire to cut." She looked at him, "I'm trusting you with my life right now Max, don't make me regret it." She smiled, "Never.", and he smiled back. He cut a red wire and the beeping stopped, the two sighing in relief, then it grew quicker, "We may have a problem." She swallowed, she couldn't do anything as Haven without Max growing suspicious of her. "I'm going to call Agent Danvers." He nodded and she walked off, "Kara, I'm at Lord Technologies with a bomb that will go off in a minute and I can't do anything without completely exposing myself." Kara took a deep breath, "I'm on my way." She smiled, "They are sending their fastest worker. We need to get out of here." He looked at her, "I can slow it with freezing the circuits." She nodded and sent a smile, "Supergirl, thank god you're here." Max handed her the bomb and went to speak technical to her and Ashlee looked at her, "This bomb has the power to level 30 blocks, you have to get it clear of the city. The best bet would be to go up, not out." Supergirl nodded and flew off. The two looked at each other and Ashlee hugged him. "That was an adventure." He laughed and hugged her back.