Eleven

Sam

Sam and Gabriel had been excused from school. Gabriel refused to leave his room and Sam wouldn't let him be alone. Now, they were sat on Gabriel's bed, hugging each other tightly.

"I-It's okay, Gabriel. Let it out," Sam soothed, rubbing circles into Gabriel's back. The whiskey-eyed boy had his face pressed into Sam's shoulder as he cried, clutching onto Sam like he was the one thing keeping him from exploding.

"S-Sam... W-What if h-he doesn't m-make it?" Gabriel sobbed.

"H-He will. Cas is strong," Sam reassured.

"W-What if he's not strong enough?" Gabriel asked.

"He is. Gabriel, just breathe. Take deep breaths." Gabe did as he was told, and was soon calm enough to let go of Sam's shirt.

"Will you stay with me tonight?" Gabe asked, wiping tears from his pink rosy cheeks.

"Of course, Gabe," Sam promised.

Gabe smiled as another tear fell on his cheek. "Thank you, Sam," He whispered.

Sam smiled back. "Come on. Let's get some rest." Sam began to tuck Gabriel into his bed. As he started to walk to Gabe's closet to get some blankets, Gabe grabbed his arm.

"C-Can you sleep in here?"

"Oh, um... Yeah, Gabe. Anything for you," Sam got in bed next to Gabe, who pulled him closer. He nuzzled his face into Sam's chest.

"Sam?" He asked.

"Yeah, Gabe?"

"I love you," Gabe whispered.

Sam's heart dropped.

He's tired, he's delusional. He doesn't mean it.

"Go to sleep, Gabriel. You're tired."

--

Dean

"Get out! Get out!" Dean screamed. He slammed the door in the face of the nurse who had just came in, offering him a water and a sandwich. He locked it behind him and returned to where he was sitting, his eyes fluttering shut with tiredness.

"No. No sleep," He muttered, "Cas needs me to be awake." Dean pulled out a beer from his bag of supplies he had packed. 'Supplies' meaning his dad's whole beer stash and a few candy bars.

He took a swig of the beer and looked at Cas, who seemed to be doing okay.

"Come on, Cas. Wake up," Dean begged, "I have some stones, from our place. The little pond we went to on our date? Yeah, remember that?" He put some rocks and pebbles on Cas' hospital bed, and placed on in his hand.

"I know you're there. Please, Cas. Come back to me... I love you."

--

Dean sat in his chair for days, never sleeping, never eating. All he did was drink beer and the occasional water, waiting for Cas to wake up. Pleading for Cas to wake up.

Even praying.

Dean Winchester, the boy who hated destiny, and the idea that there was a plan for everyone, praying.

It was hard to have that much faith, but he did it.

He would do anything for Cas.

Dean pulled a cigarette out of the box and lit it, puffing the smoke out the window he had just opened. He picked up that habit from Lucifer, who had recently started smoking again after years of quitting.

Coming this close to losing Cas was having an impact on everyone.

Gabriel never left his room anymore, Micheal started drinking, Balthazar wouldn't talk to anyone. Charlie stopped laughing and smiling, and Kevin, Cas' only friend, stopped going to school completely. Anna, the second oldest Novak, was the only one to stay relatively calm. Although, Chuck and Becky Novak seemed to notice changes in her eating habits.

And now, Dean was slowly slipping away. He didn't leave the hospital room for anything, not even Sam. The youngest Winchester had to stay at the Novak house from now on. Dean was too far gone to care about anyone other than Cas.

As they say, love makes you crazy. And Dean was as crazy as they come.

Every time a nurse or doctor would come to check in on Cas, Dean would throw fits so bad they had to restrain him. They were violent and terrifying, and some of the things Dean said even scared him. He also never accepted food, like he was punishing himself for what happened to Cas.

Dean thought it was all his fault. Dean thought everything was his fault.

So he sat in the room, drinking and smoking until he couldn't anymore.

Until something happened.

Dean dropped the beer bottle he had in his hand, letting it fall to the ground and shatter.

"NURSE! NURSE!" Dean yelled, "SOMETHING'S HAPPENING!"

All the doctors and nurses in the hospital came rushing in to see Cas' heart rate declining quickly.

"Clear!" one doctor yelled, pressing the defibrillator to Cas' chest.

"We're losing him!" A nurse yelled. Dean pushed his way through the crowd to the side of the bed, where he grabbed Cas' hand.

"Don't leave me, Cas. Not like this. We all need you... I need you, angel..." He whispered, kissing Cas' hand gently.

"He's stabilizing," the doctor breathed, sighing in relief.

"Yes, baby! Yes! Now wake up, please. Wake up!" Dean begged.

Nothing. Nothing but the beeping of Cas' now steady heart meter.

"Damnit!" Dean cursed, standing up. "Son of a bitch!" He punched a hole on the wall in anger that soon turned to sadness.

Every moment Cas was asleep, Dean was slipping farther and farther into a whole that's difficult to get out of.

He let out sob of pain and distress, looking down at his now bleeding knuckles.

Finally the flesh reflects the madness within, he thought bitterly.

Then, he heard it. The gasps of nurses and doctors, and the all to familiar voice that was almost too good to be true.

"D-Dean?"