18. THE TWISTING NETHER

Start from the beginning

"May I?" he said, startling her from her reverie.

She smiled warmly and sat forward for him to take a seat behind her. She leaned back against his chest, pulling his arms around her. He planted a small kiss on top of her head. "You have achieved amazing things today," he said.

"No, it was all of you who did the amazing stuff. I just tagged along."

He laughed softly. She loved how his laughter reverberated in his chest and then played over her back. She snuggled further into his embrace. "Forever playing yourself down, Sarah. You are too modest."

"Just stating a fact. But Drew did wondrous things today. I have to admit, I was most impressed."

"Yes, indeed he did. He is brave and a very good fighter."

She resumed playing with the crystal and glanced out over the dark, barren mountainous regions. The only light over the land was from the eerie green fel.

"Is there anything you want to tell me?" he asked. He had not been able to shake a sense of foreboding and her serene yet somewhat distant mood troubled him.

There is, she admitted inwardly. And also, so much I can't tell you. How she wished this moment could be frozen in time. She was exactly where she wanted to be, in his arms. It mattered not where they were, as long as she could stay like this. But ...

She turned in his arms. Kneeling before him, she cupped his face in her hands. She marvelled at the strong jaw, firm mouth, his mass of tousled silver hair and his almost hypnotic steel eyes. Her heart was overflowing.

Smiling softly she said, "I love you, Khadgar. I always will." She moved forward and kissed his mouth tenderly. It took all she had not to surrender to a sob. His hands gripped her waist as he leaned into the kiss. His scent flowed over her and her kiss deepened. Some knowing smiles passed between those in close vicinity. But Khadgar and Sarah were oblivious to them all.

Leaning back a little, she opened his hand and pressed the gem into his palm, closing his fingers over it gently. "Give this to Drew will you please? He looks after things so much better than I do, and I can't risk us losing this." She pulled his hand to her cheek, brushing her lips over his closed fingers. "I have to go lie down for a while. You should do the same, my love." She kissed him one more time then took her leave and went to find a bunk for some much needed sleep.

Khadgar uncurled his fingers and stared at the gem. It looked perfectly unassuming, understated even. But he held in his hand the one thing that could take her from him. He did not think his heart could take a second parting from her.

A few short hours later and some of the allies started to rally once more

A few short hours later and some of the allies started to rally once more. They could have done with more rest, but the threat of Gul'dan deducing what they were up to meant they had to work quickly. Ocel and Khadgar roused the soldiers who were still sleeping.