Rejected, Replaced & Forgotten - chpt. 1

Start from the beginning

            "Later Jay," I said quietly as I hopped out of his car. It was now the part of the day where I totally ignored his existence and he mine. That was until three pm hit and we were back in the car. Then we could laugh, talk and joke all we wanted.

            "Olivia!" I turned around and glared at Sam.

            "When are you going to stop calling me that?" I hissed.

            Sam laughed, his blue eyes shining, "Never, I enjoy enraging you Olivia, your reaction is just too funny to pass up."

            I rolled my eyes, "The only person who calls me Olivia besides you is my mom, do you know how irritating it is? No matter how many times I insist on Livy—or Liv—she's all like 'I named you Olivia so that's what I'm going to call you'"

            "She has a point you know, she did name you Olivia." He let out a low wolf whistle and shook his head slowly, "Your cousin is a fine piece of work I tell you that, she's sexy as hell."

            I turned around and looked across the yard at my cousin, Leah. She was a blond bombshell who had the looks of an angel although her personality was anything but. Not only did she have the body but she knew how to dress it. This made just about every guy lust after her—including my idiot friend Sam.

            I smacked his head, "Stop it, you're making me feel uncomfortable." He laughed and shoved his hand's in his coat pockets before starting to walk towards the school. I wasn't jealous of my cousin, it didn't bother me that the guys liked her, in fact I liked that she loved attention because I didn't. She drew all the attention to herself and left none for me—just the way I liked it.      

            "Looks like Leah and Cole are back together," Sam noted. I nodded dismissively. Cole Emerson was the future alpha to be—actually he should be taking over the position any day now apparently he was hitting the big eighteen soon.

            "Really? That's surprising, I thought he ended it for real last time."

            Sam laughed, "Doesn't look like it, you know I'm surprised she's not his mate, she'd be an alright Alpha Female."

            I snorted, "You're just saying that because you think she's pretty."

            Sam shrugged nonchalantly, "Maybe, maybe not, whatever I have the right to an opinion."

            "Anyways, he wouldn't know if they were mates—he's not even eighteen." I kicked a stray pebble as we continued towards the doors, trying to make sure I kept it on a straight path.

            "Yeah he is, today's his birthday. Weren't you listening this morning? Everyone sang Happy Birthday to him before he left for school."

            I shrugged, "I'm a heavy sleeper."

            Sam rolled his eyes, "Of course, you'd miss the biggest moment in pack history. He's the Light Wood pack's fiftieth Alpha."

            "Is he now? That's kind of cool I guess."

            Sam nodded, "It's more than cool, it's a tremendous honour. Too bad it's wasted on him—he doesn't even give a shit."

            I shrugged, "Who cares? As long as he doesn't kill us all I'm happy."

            We kept walking and I made sure I kept the pebble up to speed. We reached the doors and I kicked the pebble hard not expecting the short cry that followed.

            "What the hell? Who kicked a pebble at me?"

            I froze and felt my stomach drop, just my luck—just my stupid freaking luck. I turned to the side and lowered my head, "I'm sorry Alpha."

            I heard Cole sigh, "Isn't this your sister Jay?"

            I heard my brother grunt, "Unfortunately." I looked up slightly to see my brother looking mad and embarrassed which was never a good combination. I suddenly caught a weird scent in the air; it was a mix between some sort of delicious cologne and strawberries. It was intoxicating.

            "Alright well—you can go now or whatever—shoo." I nodded my head and looked up only to be captured by the most brilliant hazel eyes I have ever seen. It seemed when I looked into those eyes time stood still. Everything stopped moving around me and the only thing I could focus on was my own heartbeat and him. I heard my wolf howling in joy, rejoicing that she had found her mate.

            And then my cousin locked her lips with his and I felt my heart break. "Mate," I whispered. Immediately everyone turned to stare at me.

            Jay was the first to break the silence, his laughter filling the air. "What did you say lil' sis?"

            "I—I—"

            One of the other pack members laughed, "I think she said mate."

            I felt the blush rise to my cheeks and looked over at Cole, waiting for him to drag me into his arms or kiss me or something. I watched as his eyes made a quick scan over my body and I silently cursed myself for my baggy apparel.

            He looked at my face as if bored and then he smirked. I felt my heart flutter and wanted nothing more than to jump his bones.

            "Yeah right, like anything like that would be my mate, too plain, too boring, and too... unattractive."

            I felt my heart clench as tears filled my eyes, "What are you talking about Cole? I'm your mate! I'm the future Alpha Female!"

            Jay looked as though he had been electrocuted; he was on the verge of an embarrassment seizure. "Liv—shut up. Stop spewing this crap and move on already."

            I turned and glared at him, "I'm not lying Jay! I swear!"

            One of the pack members sneered at me, "You heard Cole, he said you're not his mate so let it go while you have some dignity left!"

            I turned and stared at Cole wondering why he wasn't doing anything. Surely he felt the connection that I had! Surely he knew that we were mates, destined to be together.

            "Please, although I find this mildly flattering it's also getting annoying. So just go along with your little friend and leave me alone." Each word was like a blow to my stomach, a stab in my heart.

            "But Cole—"

            "Stop being pathetic Olivia! Get lost—you heard what he said now stop being delirious and go!" Jay shouted at me. He was desperately trying to regain his cool status now that I had come in a made a fool out of both him and myself.

            "Like your brother said, get lost. I'm not interested and never will be—I have a mate out there, but she is not you." He took off my hat and threw it into the puddle a few feet away, soaking it and crushing me even further.

            If it had been anyone else I would have punched their face in but because he was alpha and my mate I just swallowed my pride and went to retrieve my ruined hat, trying to stop the tears that were rolling down my cheeks. I turned around and froze.

            I watched as Cole wrapped his arms around Leah—the arms that were meant for me. I watched as he kissed her cheek and then her nose and eventually her mouth. I watched as Leah dragged her nails through his hair and as his hands slid down to her waist. I watched them intertwine with each other unaware that the sight was literally breaking me into pieces.

            Not only had I been rejected, but I had been replaced. And standing here as I watched them I realised I had been totally and completely forgotten.

* * *

Let's be friends! 

Follow me on instagram@abbylynnewrites !