Chapter 3~ The Senses, 4 At Least

Chapter 3-

Cyndaris was right about one thing, Thranduil wouldn't have her thrown in a cell. She had been forcefully escorted towards a closed off bedchamber, no balcony and no windows. He had learned from his mistakes. If there was one thing Cyndaris hated, it was being left with her own thoughts. Mostly because the majority of her life her thoughts weren't her own.

Ever since the tragic battle, Cyndaris hadn't heard her mother. She guessed Galadriel had decided to leave her alone to grieve. Cyndaris had hoped it would last long.

Cyndaris' dreams had been filled with old, and almost forgotten memories. From her deceased sister to her abandonment, Cyndaris would have these memories stick with her all day. This was the most prominent reason she didn't wish to return to Thranduil and his Kingdom in the sick woods.

Cyndaris knew some parts of her still longed for the Mirkwood King. She had an eternal battle, she wanted to help her friends and even Thranduil himself. She wanted to please her late sister. Cyndaris didn't want to get hurt in the process, nor give Galadriel the satisfaction of watching the daughter she betrayed become any sort of queen.

I can still leave while I have the chance, Cyndaris rationalized. But soon, a indiscreet creaking noise came from the door of her closed off room. Too late.

Cyndaris shifted her eyes towards the door, quickly sliding off the bed. She expected an escort, a guard. But this wasn't just any guard. "Tauriel!" Cyndaris exclaimed, surprised by her visitor.

"I can't believe you actually got my letter!" The Captain engulfed her long lost friend in a tight hug. "I wouldn't leave his subjects to his wrath, especially you. Not to be rude, but why are you here? Out of all people you were the last I expected to open that door." Cyndaris leaned her head slightly, seeing a dark corridor leading out of the box she had been stuck in.

"Don't get too excited my friend, he sent me with reason. I'm to escort you to your well familiar chambers. I think this is his way of a cruel joke after what you pulled when returning." Tauriel grimaced. "He wasn't as stunned as I thought he would be at your return, he was more angry and demanded to know who invited you back."

"I see. Well, I guess I won't be leaving anytime soon anyways. Lead my way, Captain." Cyndaris had went back into an emotionless tone of voice, she wasn't going to throw Tauriel under the bus. She was surprised when Tauriel pulled out a piece of silk and tied it around her eyes. "It was required." She told me, making sure not to tie it too tight.

After a long silence between the two elves with only the scuffling of shoes echoing off of the walls, Tauriel spoke.

"I don't know if I should thank you for what you are doing or not, sacrificing your happiness for us."

Cyndaris smiled, "Don't. I've come to believe I was not actually happy back in hobbiton, but was admiring the happiness of the others. Their ignorant bliss. I was just delaying the inevitable."

"Always a way with words." Tauriel replied, guiding her around the corner.

Cyndaris came to believe that it was never easy to forget things, no matter how small. She should have gotten a hint when the sounds of four more shuffling feet entered the mix around her, and the scrapes of stone against stone sliding opened brought her back to the reality she was about to face.

As natural for a ranger and hunter of her ability, she used what was available. After what seemed to be doors were opened, the extra mystery feet from before never made another sound. Cyndaris felt Tauriel let go of her hands, and slowly undo the loose blindfold that was withholding Cyndaris' sight. Then, the elf made a mistake.

Cyndaris breathed in.

To her, it was hard to believe such a minor smell brought back such a wide variety of memories. Memories that hadn't resurfaced, even in those peculiar dreams. Cyndaris knew exactly where she was before the blindfold was completely off, just from one sniff.

The Elvenking's chambers.

"Your new living place, madam'." An unfamiliar looking guard stood to the left of the open doors. There was another that stayed silent to the right. Cyndaris ignored his statement, turning to Tauriel because if she found herself distracted by memories before saying goodbye to the Captain she-elf, she would regret it.

"Thank you." She whispered, "I'm here to help." Cyndaris settled her hands on Tauriel's shoulders.

Tauriel seemed to withhold a sob, and answered. "Wardrobe can be found towards the back of his closet, the door to the left when entering-"

"I know." Cyndaris turned around, finally acknowledged both guards she guessed were to keep her within the confines of Thranduil's room until he could see her himself.

Not two seconds after her backside crossed the threshold, the door slammed shut behind her. Withholding her surprise, Cyndaris refrained from going through memory lane just yet.

Thranduil's closet could have been the size of the room Cyndaris just came from, on its own. Making her way to the back of the closet, all she saw was dress after dress. Of course, I'm guessing this is another idea of punishment.

They were all beautifully crafted and tailored, just not Cyndaris'......style. I can't take an outfit of his either, he would find more enjoyment from that than he would from my uncomfortableness in a dress. She sighed, and decided to go with a more nightgown style, a simple forest green that hugged her waist and fell straight down to pool at her feet. She hadn't tried it on before heading to the pool that was Thranduil's bath to clean.

Although Cyndaris loved the wild life style, she didn't love the griminess that came with it. Watching the door carefully, Cyndaris soaked and washed. She didn't care to apply any extra herbal scents that sat around the pool, and she collected a freshly laid out towel to wrap around herself.

Just like Cyndaris expected, the nightgown fit like a charm. All of this seemed extensively planned, she thought as she eyed a wine tray that she hadn't noticed before. Ignoring the two glasses and bottle filled to the brim with red wine, Cyndaris sat in front of the vanity mirror and brushed out her shoulder length brown hair. For a fraction of a second, she thought about if it was time to cut it. That just made her sad.

The balcony, surprisingly wasn't bolted shut. The sky was clear that night, and Cyndaris was able to stare at the stars from a split in the canopy above. I wish I was up there, Madlyn can you hear me?

She had lost track of time, but when a strong pair of arms came to envelope her waist and whisper in her ear, she was jolted awake.

"Not going to jump this time, correct?"  

_______________________________

I threw this together because I feel like you all deserved this, definitely. So sorry. 1197 words make up for it?