Chapter Thirty Nine

"Wedding ceremony?!" Ichigo questioned.

"That's right. The Kasumiohji Clan is finalizing preparations of the upcoming wedding of Shu Kannogi." Yoruichi explained.

"I never heard of him? Who is this Kannogi?" Rukia asked.

"Master Shu is Lady Rurichiyo's fiancé."

"Her fiancé? She never even told me she was engaged."

"Well that's the aristocracy for you." Kisuke said.

"There's talk that they skipped the formalities and that Shu Kannogi has already been installed as the head of the Kasumiohji Clan. So now, they want to push through the wedding ceremony as quickly as possible, that way it'll be official."

"But they can't hold a wedding ceremony without the bride. Rurichiyo is here."

"That's a good point. Still, I suppose they could get around that by using a stand-in, seeing as most people wouldn't notice the differance." Kisuke explained.

"Invitations have already been sent out to all prominent nobles in the Soul Society. On the day of the marriage, they plan to open the gates to the Kasumiohji Clan's palace and invite all the citizens to get a glimpse of the bride and join in on the celebration."

"They're trying to destroy our creditability by as many witnesses as possible!" Kenryu slammed his fist on the wooden table.

"Damn that Kumoi... He'll do anything to get what he wants!"

"When is the ceremony scheduled to take place?" Rukia asked Yoruichi.

"The day after tomorrow."

"So we're not talking about a lot of time. I'm sure Kumoi will do everything in his power to get the princess back so we have to be wery of traps. That'll be just like him." Kisuke said pointing his fan out.

"He's anticipating our actions in driving us into a cornor by removing our options one by one."

"Pretty soon we won't have any options left at all."

"Orihime is doing her best with Chad and Uyrū, but it's going to take time for her to reject the damaged inflected by the assassins."

"The assassin sword... A Bakkouto, that's what they called it right?"

"Yeah. It absorbed its widelder's reiatsu and converted it into power."

"I'm not familiar with it but I assumed you would be Kisuke."

"I know it's hard to believe but there are a few things that I don't—"

"You are treating her like a child." Cherī spoke out taking a sip of her tea.

"Cherī!"

"What did you say?!"

"You know it's true. You treat her like a child when she is going to take over as the head of the Kasumiohji Clan. She might even know that Kumoi is the one who wants her dead. She's a smart girl after all." Cherī looked at Kenryu.

"You try to hide this from her but it's no use. She probably already knows about the situation whether you like it or not." Her eyes soften at the man.

"I understand, you just want to protect the princess from the bad things that have been happening but you can't do that forever. She will grow up into the woman you and Enryu raised her to be, but right now you are only backing her up into a corner."

"And how would you know that?"

"Its simple, actually. I see it in her eyes. People often say that the eyes are the gateway to a persons soul." A second later Enryu showed up looking for Rurichiyo which Kenryu went with his friend to look for their princess. Later that late Rurichiyo left the World of the Living to return to the Soul Society. It didn't take long for her to get a message from the Head Captain.