Prologue

Hello readers! As I've promised, the sequel to my first fanfiction, Down the Dark Path, is finally here. For all new readers, PLEASE DON'T start this before reading the previous book (link in comments), as this book, Shadows of the Dark Path, starts off right at the end of that one. You are free to proceed, but you might not enjoy the complete essence of the tale. You might find a lot of questions to be answered. So, I advise, read the first one and then read this!

For days I've been to trying figure out how to start off this story and I've finally figured it out I guess. I'm trying out a third- person perspective style of writing here, and to be honest it gives me a better method to describe things compared to a first-person perspective. But I'm open to suggestions from you all, and none will be disregarded...

Well, here we go.... Shadows of the Dark Path....

30th of Last Seed, 4E 419

Whiterun

Daybreak in Whiterun is always quite cheerful- the first rays of light illuminating the magnificent city, the wild flowers growing near the gates, tantalizing anyone with their blissful fragrance and the chill morning breeze carrying the aroma throughout the city.

But that day, the city stank of death and the pitter-patter of a Stormcloak Guard's boots destroying the calm of the city. He was running at full sprint towards the towering residence of the Jarl of Whiterun, Dragonsreach.

The guard knew that Jarl Vignar would still be asleep at this hour, but he had to tell him what he had just seen. I must warn the Jarl, he thought as he ran.

He passed through the market place, where a couple of other guards glanced at him, with puzzled looks on their faces. Sorry, but you can wait till later.

He climbed up the stairs, regretting about scarfing down that slice of venison an hour ago, but he still went on. He passed the Gildergreen tree, which looked as troubled as he did. It stood there silently, gazing at him as he ran around it. He passed by the Temple of Kynareth, just as a couple of priests were walking towards the tree. No time for prayer now. The deed has already been done. Skyrim is done for without that man. Drat it.

He stood at the bottom of the long flight of stairs, that led to the mighty Dragonsreach, which used to hold dragons captive several eras ago. He panted heavily, as if he had just ran all the way from High Hrothgar.

" This news must reach the Jarl first. I can rest after I deliver the news to him". Saying so, he took in a huge breath and started up the stairs. He reached the Keep's door after a while and was immediately let in. He ran towards the stairway that led to Jarl Vignar's private quarters, but was blocked by the Jarl's personal steward Brill.

"The Jarl is not awake. You can tell the news that you appear to be carrying to me", said Brill, his bald head reflecting most of the light coming through the windows in the Keep.

"Apologies. But this information is privy only to the Jarl himself and no one else", said the guard, breathing heavily after each word. Proventus looked puzzled, but before he could do anything, the guard had already started up the stairs.

"Hey, you! Get back down here!", shouted Proventus, but no one came back down. The guard ran towards the Jarl's room, opened the door and ran to the majestic bed. He stood by the side, and was so breathing heavily that Jarl Vignar woke up with a start.

"You fool! Why in Oblivion would you breathe down on my neck while I'm sleeping?!", exclaimed the Jarl. The guard couldn't speak as he was out of breath. He saw the Jarl's face, slowly turning red with rage.

"Sorry, my Jarl. There - has- been - a - murder!", he panted at last.

"A murder in my city? Impossible! Call Ivarr. Ask him to meet me at once". The guard looked dumb-founded and the Jarl's rage intensified. " Ivarr is the Dragonborn, you fool! Don't just stand there... Fetch him!".

"I'm terribly sorry, my Jarl. The murder occurred in Breezehome and the deceased is the mighty Dragonborn...Ivarr. I noticed that the door of his house was ajar, and after no reply to me calling out, I decided to go investigate. I went inside and found his body, still on his bed. He had been stabbed with a stiletto like weapon", he said, the gravity of the situation evident from his tone.

The Jarl was shell-shocked. He was too flabbergasted for words. The guard continued. "And his adopted daughter, Astrid is.....missing".