Vol. 2 Ch. 24 Campfire and Talk

Start from the beginning

"Here, let me help!"

"Y-Yeah, thanks..."

Once more, Kudo noticed the strange reaction. Mick was acting as if he was Kudo who was near new people—so he knew that Mick felt nervous for some reason...

Mick held the poles as a blanket was covering the top of the poles to make a cover for their heads. Kudo hammered the stakes that he made down to the ground with the use of a hammer.

During this process, Mick finally spoke after a long silence between them.

"Kudo-san..."

Mick responded, but Kudo felt that after the time spent together, he wanted to correct him:

"Just call me Kudo," Kudo made a smile as he looked at Mick. "It's kinda weird being called with a suffix to me."

The cause of this was spending so much time with Hinota, calling each other without any suffixes.

A look of surprise showed on Mick's face.

"I... T-That's... Umm..." Mick stuttered slowly. "T-There's something that I want to say."

Mick spoke as Kudo studied his face after hammering down the stake to the ground.

He notices that Mick showed an uncomfortable expression: his brow narrowed and he pressed his lips together hard in frustration. It looked like he was about to admit something personal.

"I-I'm sorry, Kudo-san!"

Mick finally responded, leaving Kudo to respond: "E-Eh?!"

Hearing his surprised response, Mick lets go of the pole since it was now being supported by the stake, and quickly bowed to Kudo, completely bending his body at a 90-degree angle. Kudo lifted himself up from the ground as his eyes widened from the surprising apology.

"I'm so sorry, Kudo-san... for what I did back at the Kuul Caverns!"

"Kuul Caverns..."

Kudo remembered the unwanted memories spent in the Kuul Caverns. The memories of being ostracized by the strangers invited to the party, only wanting Hinota and not him. He also remembered the harsh treatment they gave him, including purposely tripping him up and even trying to kick him out and abandon Hinota.

"We did awful things to you. We tripped you, hurt you, and even got you nearly killed. Throughout the quest, we've done nothing but make you go through such hell. I'm truly, truly sorry, Kudo-san!"

Mick's tone of voice showed that he felt extremely guilty, continuing to bow his head towards Kudo as he said these words. Kudo then spoke up:

"I-It's fine, Mi—"

"No, it's not!" As if he knew what Kudo would say, Mick interrupted. "I'm... I'm supposed to be a [Priest]! A class that heals and supports other Adventurers. Yet, I did all those petty and awful things! I-I can't be forgiven that easily!"

Mick showed so much grief over the actions that he did to Kudo. Continuously tripping him up with his staff, Kudo now knows just how bad Mick felt during those times. He also felt the internal struggle Mick was feeling as he was supposed to heal others and support, yet he did all those nasty actions.

"Mick..." Kudo now felt his feelings all this time. "I don't blame you at all."

"But..." Mick responded as if he couldn't believe it. "I deserve to be hated by you. You deserve to hit me until I'm completely knocked out!"

"I won't do it. Please, raise your head."

Kudo's tone sounded infuriated because of those words. Mick raised his head and saw Kudo's smiling expression.