52|| Knight to F5

Start from the beginning

"I need to talk to the goblin," Harry tells Bill and Fleur, never once exchanging that typical greeting of his. But it is understandable with the losses he experiences almost daily, losing more of himself with each duel he battles.

But Bill Weasley is not looking at Harry, the face of the Boy Who Lived being well known to him with all the time they've spent together. Bill does not even look at his own brother, but the mysterious boy to the right of Hermione, almost as tall as Ron but darker than the whole of them put together. This figure exerts a power almost unimaginable to the experienced Bill Weasley, like a dark relic of old magic. And though the boy does not endanger Harry or the other two, his appearance is nothing less than suspicious.

"First, tell us about your friend," Bill responds to the demand of the Boy Who Lived, keeping his blue eyes trained upon the dark-haired boy. Tom looks back at the Weasley emotionlessly, that stoic facade a permanent implant on his face when Hermione is not the focus of his thoughts. And though he could be described as a statue--alabaster and chiseled in the kitchen of Shell Cottage--he moves forward with an offered hand.

  And though he could be described as a statue--alabaster and chiseled in the kitchen of Shell Cottage--he moves forward with an offered hand

"Tom Vincetamor. It's a pleasure to meet you," the typically charismatic boy says shortly, not inclined to be charming when this man is obviously a Weasley and suspicious of Tom, not a good combination if Ron is any sign. And though Tom does not get any immediate response from Bill, Hermione's mouth drops slightly and a startled gasp breaks upon her lips, to the notice of all parties in the room including Bill.

Being the only ones to understand Latin, it is like a secret held between Hermione and Tom: Vincetamor. Once, her fake middle-name, and now, Tom's fake last-name. It's the summation of their combined efforts to win this war, the power behind the righteous sacrifices to defeat Voldemort. It is everything that Voldemort does not understand, but Tom Riddle comprehends completely.

Vincetamor, n. meaning 'powerful love.'

And in those words, when Tom recognizes the force and chooses it for himself, Hermione had never loved him more than she did in that moment.

Of course, it confuses Harry and Ron as to what the word means, watching as Hermione stares enamoured at Tom Riddle, but the boy does not return the look, staring intently at Bill Weasley. Hermione's jaw eventually closes from its locked opening, but her eyes sing of the high-heavens in love and joy and everything good the world encompasses. And though Tom does not flicker an eye towards her, and even pretends she is not looking, he cannot help feeling all the same, just in a different fashion. She is his.

Bill reaches out for Tom's hand, concluding that this boy and Hermione will not be sharing the importance of this word. "I am Bill Weasley, this is my wife Fleur, and that is Luna Lovegood." Tom nods at Bill's wife, remembering her as a victor in the Triwizard Cup. And yet, when Tom turns to Luna Lovegood, he actually becomes flustered. The bright smile on Luna's face is the epitome of innocence and good-blessing, despite her previous occupation in Voldemort's headquarters. Of course, Tom has never met a person as bright as Luna, so when her smile is focused on him--so intent--he cannot help stumbling a bit in his facade. Hermione only smirks at the unarming ability of Luna Lovegood, especially on the mask of Tom Riddle.