35|| Pawn to G3

35|| Pawn to G3

From both past experience and reading, Hermione knows the cause of the shivers now racking down her back, heart pounding in her chest, and the dark thoughts permeating her Occlumency shield. It does not take a visualization to know, given the scarring memories of the creatures and near awful endings they impose. She's suddenly cast back to the Wizengamot courtroom, the flee from the Ministry with these creatures sucking out her soul...And her utter inability to protect her best friends in their time of great need.

Hermione's eyes meet Tom's, his face masked in confusion, though wariness at the unnatural cold spell now bracing their bodies. Tom sees the panic in her eyes, a sign of her experience in this awful feeling and one that does not bode well for their luck. With her jaw clenched and eyes wide, Hermione looks about ready to cower behind bushes and run for her life.

She chooses the latter.

"Back to Hogwarts! Run!" she commands them, taking off on her heels without a second thought, other than to grab Tom's hand. Hermione pulls him along until he's caught up in the moment, letting it drop as he charges slightly ahead of her in his longer steps, not knowing what is chasing them but trusting Hermione's fear to be founded.

The two charge around bushes and trees, hopping over puddles and never looking back. And though the day is darkening into night, the forest glows brighter than in the hours prior, an unhealthy blue glow radiating around them as plants freeze over and the ground thickens into ice. And it is these signs that have Tom realizing in a sudden thought: atypical cold spells, darkened thoughts, and fear-induced spectators.

Dementors.

Hermione perceives the Forbidden Forest to be one of danger, whereas Hogwarts is obviously a place of safety. But, in a sudden change of fortune, the latter becomes one of utter trepidation and danger. Upon exiting the forest, Hermione and Tom are affronted with a staggered line of eight dementors, their faces turned towards the two students as if they are solely looking for these victims. Tom freezes in his steps upon seeing them, Hermione's flying feet no longer moving forward, but backward instead.

"Merlin, they're meant to be protecting, not harming the students!" Tom shouts, as if this mere perception could save them from a soul-sucking demise

"Merlin, they're meant to be protecting, not harming the students!" Tom shouts, as if this mere perception could save them from a soul-sucking demise. And though they are deadly to all wizards, Tom's hopelessness at the dementors presence is to a lesser degree than most, his soul already being plenty dark, and making him capable of normal thought. Hermione...not so much.

"Tom," Hermione quivers, her voice painted with fear as she moves up to his side in utter terror. Perhaps it is the situation itself, but Hermione has no hope in escape: there were dementors behind them in the forest and now they coast in front of them as well. There is no escape.

The creatures leave no time for plotting on Tom's part, swooping down towards the two students with every intention to eat their souls. But to the extent that danger increases the brazenness of Gryffindors, the immediate complication lights a fire under Hermione, courage blossoming in her heart with enough potency to spur her brain into necessity, always driven by reason over response. Only she can save them...and she will this time.