Lottery - Flash Fiction by @AngusEcrivain

The television screen shone brightly, illuminating the room in that eerie, off-blue that only a television set could.

It was the first time that particular television set had been turned on for months, nine of them to be precise. In fact, not a single show of any kind had aired since the King's Christmas Day message, for the simple reason that resources were far too precious and scarce to be wasted frivolously on unimportant things like news items, celebrities romping in the jungle and sporting events.

Every single available resource, no matter what it was and however unsuitable it might appear to be, was being used to build a fleet of starships that would take what was left of humanity away from their long-dead homeworld, across the stars in search of a new place to call home.

Unfortunately though, what was left of humanity was too great a number of people to transport in the space-faring vessels available.

That was where the lottery came in. That was why, for the first time in nine months, television sets across the globe were all tuned in to the same channel, those viewing eagerly waiting for the show to start that they might watch, each and every one with bated breath, as one million names were drawn.

One million names. One million people.

Of a global population of three billion, following the wars, famines and natural disasters of the prior two hundred years, that was how many people would survive. That was how many people would set off across the stars in search of a new home for humanity.

One million names. One million pioneers.

***

"If I get called and you don't, I'll stay," said Jack, quietly whispering into Helen's ear as they sat, arm in arm upon the very edge of the tattered velvet sofa.

"Like fuck you will," she replied, as calmly and sweetly as she always spoke. "If you're called you'll go cause I tell you this, Jack... I love you, more than anything and you know that, but if my name's called and yours isn't, then I'll be kissing you goodbye and not looking back."

He smiled in response, and moments later gripped her hand as tightly as he could, for the show was about to begin.

It wasn't really a show, as such, it was simply a computerised voice over what was essentially a large spreadsheet which, as names were generated by some hitherto unseen computer, gradually began to fill.

"C'mon..." Jack hissed beneath his breath, hoping that if he was called, Helen was too, for he couldn't imagine his life without her. "C'mon you beauty..."

And then just as quickly as it began it was over. No more names were called and as the power to inessential appliances was cut, Jack and Helen remained motionless upon the sofa, their hands still tightly conjoined.

"Guess we'd best get our shit together, eh?" said Jack, eventually, turning to Helen, grinning broadly. "Looks like we've got a starship to catch!"

FIN