Chapter 28: Intimacy

Levi hadn't been kissed in years.

He hadn't felt the feeling of butterflies in his stomach in however long it had been. He forgot the feeling of someone's lips moving over his own, the touch of another person that guide their fingers through his hair, across his cheeks.

His first kiss had been when he was 13 with his best friends. Isabel and Farlan. They were young and stupid at the time and they called it 'experimenting'. He kissed both of them to see which he liked more. Farlan's lips had been chapped and coarse while Isabel's had been soft and pliant. Farlan kissed roughly and harshly while Isabel kissed gently and with a certain type of caution. It was weird and odd and overall a bad idea if he looked back on it now but he didn't really care. He didn't back then and he didn't now.

He kissed more people throughout the years but none of them were very memorable. He kissed both men and women but he couldn't decide which was better. Just random people and relationships he would have over the years.

Until the corpses.

The first kiss he experienced after the corpses came was with a pretty strawberry blonde girl by the name of Petra Ral. She was the nicest girl he'd ever met and he had realized after a few months of her presence that he'd fallen in love with her. Her lips were the softest he'd ever felt. She kissed so gently that if one weren't paying attention, they wouldn't even notice the movement. She was almost a ghost in the sense, her presence was noticeable but her movement was not.

But the cruel and brutal world never failed to show its true strength. She died not too long after they'd begun to see each other and he was away so he didn't witness her death first hand. But he seen the aftermath. The void where her throat once was, the blood stained hair that was completely red. The blood under his nails after he'd shot her. He'd spent hours trying to get her blood off his clothes and hands but no matter how much he scrubbed the stains would remain. He could still picture them there to this day.

Erwin was completely different.

Erwin was so calculating and precise when he kissed. He mapped out every bump and curve of Levi's body so he could remember for later. He was cautious and mindful of Levi's boundaries when it came to kissing. His lips were so chapped that Levi was sure he'd been cut by them a few times. He didn't mind though. Erwin was not a shy kisser. He did not pull back quickly with a blush across his cheeks, no, he continued until he knew Levi was satisfied. He kissed with vigour and confidence and Levi liked that. It was different from any other kiss he'd ever had. Erwin seemed to know that.

They stood outside waiting for the kids to round the corner so they could start the lesson on gun safety. It had become almost ritual that Levi accompany Erwin to the lessons and help him with supervision and such. All the kids had gotten used to his presence and they didn't seem to mind him being there, only if he was in a sour mood or gave them a particularly harsh stare. Levi was with Erwin every chance he could get. He missed him dearly when he would go on runs with a group of others and he would always move as fast as he could so he could get back to Trost and see Erwin.

Today, as they stood outside waiting for the kids, Erwin had become a bit more daring almost. He slipped his hand around Levi waist and pulled him in for a kiss that lasted long. He was about to lean in for another but Levi stopped him.

"Not here Erwin. The kids will see." He whispered, although he wanted to keep kissing.

"Just this once." Erwin placed another kiss on Levi lips to try and convince him. Levi gave in pretty quickly.

"Fine." he sighed, "Just this once."

The resumed their intimacy, not even caring about the rest of the world. Levi almost jumped out of his skin when he heard a small voice below.

"Mister Levi?" The voice asked. Levi recognized it as Samir's voice.

"Yes?" He said as he quickly pushed himself away from Erwin. Erwin stumbled back a bit but regain his composure quickly. There was no hiding what they had been doing. Levi knew he'd be right.

"Were you guys kissing?" Samir asked. Erwin was trying to keep down his smirk while Levi looked absolutely mortified. Trust a seven year old to be so blunt.

"Um, we were just-" Levi began but was stopped when Erwin interrupted.

"Yes." Levi jabbed him in the side with his elbow, causing the air to leave Erwin's lungs.

"God, your elbows are like knives..." Erwin commented.

"Really?" Samir cut in. She gasped. "Are you guys dating?" Levi hoped that Erwin didn't notice the slight colour flooding to his face.

"I don't know if that's-" He was, once again, cut off by Erwin.

"Yes." Levi pushed Erwin and sent his best glare at him, Erwin putting his hand up in defence. Levi crossed his arms over his chest and looked away from Erwin, giving him the cold shoulder. He could hear Erwin chuckling.

Little by little the other kids began to shuffle in to the courtyard, their banter and playful teasing ringing through the air. Once everyone was settled Erwin had picked up the gun that was sitting in his holster by his side. It wasn't loaded, for safety reasons, obviously. He began his short speech to the kids before he let them crowd around and look at the pistol in his hand. He demonstrated how to load it, with Levi's help, and then delivered a shot to one of the dummy mannequins heads which was a few feet away. Some of the kids, the younger ones, flinched at the sound of the gun being fired, the sound it made as it hit the plastic of the dummies exterior.

"Nice shot." An unknown voice asked. Levi turned faster than Erwin and noticed Darius standing a few feet behind him. "Continue your lesson Smith. I have a job for Levi." He said kindly while sending Levi a smile, gesturing with his hand to follow. Levi followed Darius through the slush that once was snow, the blue sky overhead completely clear, not a cloud in sight.

"There was a team of five that went out not too long ago and they haven't come back. I'd like you, Nile, Matthias to go and find them." Darius said. There was no room for Levi to argue, Darius' sentence was more of a command than anything else. Levi was forced.