16. ENTRY TO THE VAULT

Start from the beginning

"Your faith in the woman is ... well, I will not say admirable; touching perhaps. Nonetheless, this may well turn out to be nothing more than the folly of an overactive imagination."

"I doubt very much the King would allow part of his army to be present here if he felt it was a mere childish fancy." The Archmage's voice was taut, but not disrespectful.

"Should our mission here be fruitless, I am sure we will be successful elsewhere." Ocel injected.

"And at what cost?" Malfurion said. "All this for my errant brother? Who I still believe will remain incarcerated and lifeless within his own poison."

"There is more at stake here than a family fued." Khadgar said, his voice low.

"How dare you, Archmage!" Tyrande spat. "Do you honestly think our concerns are over sibling rivalry?"

Sarah cleared her throat. She was strangely calm, although as always, anything voiced against Illidan irked her. The group turned as she approached.

She stopped directly in front of the Archdruid. "If it makes you feel any better about your brother Malfurion, he tried his best to emulate you, earn your respect and your love. He knew his failings ..." She turned caustic eyes to the High Priestess. Tyrande lowered her head. "But he found his strengths. I do not doubt that at the time, the high cost of his drive and ambition was hard for all to bear, but he had been given an insight as to what this, your home, and all of Azeroth would suffer under the tyranny of the Burning Legion. Had he come to you and told you of this, would you have even listened? Or would your emotions and bias still have driven you in your chosen path?"

Malfurion afforded a quick glance at Tyrande. The High Priestess continued staring straight ahead at the woman who seemed to be able to bend the ears of even highly regarded nobility to her favour. Sarah remained focused, and continued. "His was not so much choice, as it was destiny. And he too has suffered greatly, carrying that responsibility and all the guilt for those he sacrificed."

To the left of the group, hidden by some forest foliage, Arcaena crouched, watching and listening. She had heard every word Sarah had said. If she could have shed tears, she would have. Finally, outwith the loyal Illidari was someone who truly knew Illidan. For all she had never met him, Sarah spoke so eloquently and respectfully of him. For the first time in decades, Arcaena prayed to Elune. Please let Sarah's hunch be correct about my Lord's body being in the Vault.

Sarah could see the High Priestess and Archdruid were struggling to accept her opinion of Illidan. In that moment also, she had a small inkling of how things must have appeared all those millennia before. She stepped forward to Tyrande. "You once told me that I had no right to judge for I was not there," she said quietly.

The High Priestess with her patrician features stood defensively, looking down upon Sarah's five foot seven frame. "I understand," Sarah acknowledged. "I have no idea what it must have been like to witness your ..." She paused just for a beat, to choose the correct phrase. "...friend and -" she turned to Malfurion. " - brother, pull away from your beliefs and your way of life. I have no concept what it would be like to see all those who died because of his beliefs. But this I do know; he is not the monster you think he is. He fought for you, for all of you and he will do so again once we bring him back."

The two night elfs were silent for a long while. Khadgar moved in behind Sarah, his hands resting gently on her waist but not so the others could see. Malfurion was the one to speak. "If what you say is true, then perhaps some broken bridges will be mended. But understand Sarah, there were atrocities my brother was responsible for which will be forever emblazoned in my memory."

Sarah nodded in acquiescence.

Tyrande and Malfurion then turned and left the company to aid in the recovery of the last Pillar fragment. Although they were now committed to helping with the mission, Sarah was nonetheless still grateful that they would not be present when they found the Archdruid's twin brother in the Vault. Or not, if indeed her syllogism was proven foolish and accrued an exorbitant price in lives.