Chapter 15: Hex

The prison was not at all what Marco expected. With a name like 'Hex Cells', he expected it to be haunted or cursed in some way.

As it turns out, the name comes from the old architecture style the Kingdom of Talo is known for.

Talo. The kingdom of the long gone Honeybee royal line.

Marco sat on the floor of the cell and leaned back against one of the six yellow walls. His fanny pack and grappling hook had been confiscated.

He wondered how he could escape, but the Hex Cells were very well designed. Years of prison break movies did not provide any ideas. Marco was told that he would see the judge when she got back from vacation. Even though he was anxious to get to Star as soon as possible, Hank Innocent would just have to be patient and wait.

==================================

After two weeks, Marco's beard had begun to grow in and was itchy. He wanted to shave.

The door on the metal grate covering the top of the cell was opened and a ladder lowered in. "Convict! It's time to face the judge! Come out!"

When Marco reached the top of the ladder, he was shackled to a chain gang. He and other prisoners were marched down a hexagonal hallway past more sunken cells.

The hall lead to what looked like a six sided courtroom. A demon woman with a white powder wig and black robe sat at the hexagonal judge's bench. There was no jury box.

More chained pirates and prisoners were brought into the courtroom. Marco noticed that some prisoners were monsters. A chain gang of them was lined up next to him.

"Great fighter Red Hood! Is you! Long time, no see!"

Marco turned to look at the source of the voice. He also wanted to see who this 'Red Hood' was. Suddenly, giant green shackled arms encircled him.

"Do not tell real name. Vill be wery bad." was whispered into Marco's ear in a vaguely eastern european accent.

"Hey! Be quiet and get back in line!" the guards ordered.

Marco looked at the monster who hugged him. He always wondered about this monster. He had helped Star rescue him from Toffee once. But his main loyalty was always to Ludo.

Marco was a stranger in a strange land. Mostly ignorant. But this monster always seemed to know information. It came from his experience as a scout and a spy. And Buff Frog had just told Marco that he should give a fake name.

Pirates and criminals were called one by one to stand before the judge. There was a short question and answer session. Then the judge passed sentence. It was very straightforward and quick. Most pirates were sent to Pixtopia.

Before long, Buff Frog was called before the Judge.

"Back again, Buff Frog? Trespassing on Royal land, huh?"

"Da! Judge."

"Arena?"

"Da! Judge."

"Done."

The Judge banged her gavel and Buff Frog was escorted from the courtroom.

Eventually Marco's turn came to face the judge.

"Name?"

He wished Buff Frog had called him something else. Marco knew his comics lore and silently hoped he would not go insane or have to be brought back from the dead before this was all over.

"Red Hood, your Honor."

"Mm-hm. You were captured as part of a pirate crew, correct?"

"I was a crewmember of a cargo ship that was attacked by pirates. I was captured. It was either join them or die."