Chapter 10: The Homecoming Dance

Alli's POV:

I was super nervous about how people would react when I walked in with Nathan. I mean, it was the nerd of the grade being the date for the most popular guy in school. I knew that the other students would stare at us, mostly me.

"It'll be fine. I promise." Nathan whispered in my ear right before we walked in.

"I can hope." I whispered back.

Just as I had predicted, everyone stared at us. I looked down from embarrassment, still holding onto Nathan's arm. Nathan tilted my chin so that my eyes met his. When our eyes met, I could tell that the night would be perfect.

Nathan led me towad a table and I sat down, putting my head in my hands.

"Alli. It's going to be fine." Nathan moved my hands.

"I don't know. Everyone is staring at me and it feels weird to me. Maybe I shouldn't have come." I slouched.

"Don't say that. All these people are probably slightly jealous." he reassured me.

"Thanks. I'll try to ignore them." I smiled.

"Good. Now may I have this dance?" Nathan held out his hand as a slow song played.

"It would be my pleasure." I took his hand and walked onto the dance floor.

Nathan put one hand on my waist and held my hand with the other. I rested my free hand on his shoulder. We danced with each other and I ended up laying my head on his shoulder. I couldn't have imagined anything that could have ruined the dance for me and Nathan. I was apparently wrong. After the song ended and we sat down, Hana came to our table.

Hana was dressed like she was going to a club rather than a high school homecoming dance. She was wearing a fairly tight red dress that only went down to her knees and had a really low neckline. Hana had her hair in a tight bun and had a thick layer of makeup on.

"Hi, Nathan." she sat next to him, totally ignoring me.

"Hana. Get out of here. I have a date." Nathan moved so that I was in front of him.

"You can't make me leave." Hana crossed her arms.

"No. But we can ignore you. P.S. you look like you could work at a bar." I said and walked away.

Nathan followed me until I walked into the bathroom. I was ready to snap. Hana wouldn't leave Nathan alone, people wouldn't stop staring at me, and everything felt like it was falling apart.

"Alli, are you ok? Nathan's going out of his mind outside the girls bathroom." Kaylyn came in and stood next to me.

"I don't know, Kaylyn. Everything seems to be going wrong for me tonight." I took off my heels.

"It's going to be fine. Hana left and they're about to announce the homecoming court." she turned me so that I could easily walk out.

"Thanks, Kaylyn." I smiled and left the bathroom, after I put my heels back on.

"ALLI!!!!" Nathan nearly smothered me in a hug as I walked out.

"Can't.... Breathe...." I gasped.

"Sorry. Sorry. I was worried." he finally let go.

"I can tell. Let's go. I think they're announcing homecoming court." I headed back to where the dance was being held.

Nathan willingly followed me and we made it back just in time for the last couple of the homecoming court to be announced to the student body. 4 other couples stood on stage, waiting to see if they would be homecoming king and queen.