Chapter 9: Preparations

Alli's POV:

Kaylyn was fussing over me. Rachel had already left with her date and boyfriend, Ben. Now I was stuck with Kaylyn, who would not stop fixing my hair and makeup.

"Kaylyn! I look fine. Now stop hovering over me." I scooted away from her.

"Sorry. Sorry. Just nervous." Kaylyn sat down on her bed.

I stood up and smoothed out my dress. I had a little trouble walking in the silver heels that I'd gotten. My hair was partially up and partially down. The portion of my hair that was down, the hairdresser had my hair close to Rachel's hair "straightened" (so very curly). The strapless dress I had purchased was fitted to my hips and flared out gently to my feet in the perfect shade of blue that matched Nathan's eyes. Kaylyn somehow convinced me to buy a dress with a V-neck. I had sheer silver fabric to wrap around my shoulders. I couldn't wait for Nathan to see me dressed up.

Kaylyn's dress was almost exactly like mine. It had the same design, but it was emerald green and had a sweethearrt neckline. Also, Kaylyn had a gold wrap and gold heels. She had her dark hair down in beautiful gentle waves and had her bangs pinned back. I thought that Kaylyn looked lovely and that Chris made the good decision of asking her to be his date.

"I'm so nervous. What if Nathan doesn't like it? Or what if the guys don't like how similar our dresses are?" I was starting to pace back and forth, stumbling every couple steps.

"Alli. Calm down. I'm sure that Nathan will love whatever you're wearing. I can say the same for Chris." Kaylyn stopped me.

"Ok. OK. I'm calm." I heard a knock at the door.

"They're here!!!! They're here!!!!" Kaylyn shook my shoulders.

"I know." I took her hands off of my shoulders and grabbed my clutch.

Kaylyn and I appeared at the top of the stairs and the guys seemed to do a double take.

"Woah." Both boys were in awe.

"I told you that they would like our dresses." Kaylyn whispered to me as we walked toward our dates.

"Yeah, yeah. You told me so." I whispered back.

On the bottom step, I tripped in my heels on my dress. I just happened to fall into Nathan.

"Oops. Sorry." I blushed and stood up straight.

"No problem. Alli, you look...... Amazing." Nathan gave me a corsage.

"Thanks." I put on the corsage and noticed that Chris and Kaylyn were having a similar conversation.

"Ready to go to the dance?" he offered me his arm.

"Absolutely." I took it gratefully.

"Mom! We're leaving. See you after the dance." Kaylyn yelled inside as we left.

Since Chris was driving, I let Kaylyn sit in the shotgun seat. Nathan and I sat together in the backseat. It was a pretty quiet ride to the dance, probably because of our nervousness.

Either way, I was ready to have the time of my life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nathan's POV:

I stood up and fixed my tuxedo for the fifth time. Chris and I were getting ready at my house for the dance. I checked on the corsage, which was made of roses dyed blue. Chris was a lot calmer than I was. He was texting someone, while I was panicking over the smallest things.

"Dude. Calm down." Chris looked up.

"I'm not sure if I can. This is the first time that Alli is actually doing something with me voluntarily." I stood still for the first time in an hour.

"Let's go pick up the girls. You need to see that everything is gonna work out fine with Alli." he grabbed the keys to his car.

We decided to take Chris' car because mine smelled like sweaty sports equipment and we didn't want Alli or Kaylyn to smell that the whole way to the dance. When we got to Kaylyn's house, I knocked on the door and Kaylyn's mother answered the door. I heard a scream and assumed it was Kaylyn. I'd never heard Alli scream like that and couldn't imagine her screaming like that.

Then the world seemed to stop as both Kaylyn and Alli appeared at the top of the stairs. Kaylyn looked pretty but Alli was stunning in my opinion.

"Woah." Chris and I said at the same time.

Both girls smiled and started to make their way down the stairs. I saw Kaylyn and Alli whispering something to each other. Alli tripped on the last step and fell into me.

"Oops. Sorry." Alli blushed and regained her balance.

"No problem. Alli, you look.... Amazing." I handed her the corsage, still in awe.

"Thanks." Alli replied and put on the corsage.

"Ready to go to the dance?" I held out my arm for Alli to take.

"Absolutely." she held onto my arm.

"Mom! We're leaving. See you after the dance." Kaylyn screamed. That girl had a good set of lungs.

Alli and I got into the backseat. I was tempted to hold Alli's hand, but I thought it might be pushing it. No one said anything the whole way to the dance.

Despite the silence, I was still ready to have the time of my life.