I

Narrator

Despite growing up in a dusty attic, Bailey grew up in grace, modesty, kindness, and beauty. She had all the qualities of a princess, even though she was living the servant life. She spent years sewing dresses, mending dresses, and helping the dressmaker. The dressmaker was called Deliah and her daughters were Rose and Lily.

Deliah and Lily were not fond of Bailey's beauty. Rose wasn't exactly the same way. When Bailey was sent to bed with no food, Rose would sneak her some water, bread, and cheese. They would secretly play games and Rose taught Bailey how to read and bought her a book on her birthday every year. Rose was fair with blonde hair and brown eyes. But, whenever Rose was around Deliah and Bailey at the same time, she pretended to hate her. Bailey caught on later in life, and forgives her every night.

Bailey

One day, Deliah calls me to the sitting room, "Bailey!"

I run into the room, "Yes miss."

"The groundskeeper at the stables ordered a dress for his daughter, and I need you to deliver it. You are to report back by dinner," Deliah says. She hands me a dress.

I nod, "Yes miss." I run to the attic, my bedroom, and take my satchel with me. I fill it with cheese and bread. I put on my wooden shoes and run out the door. On the way to the stables, the royal carry-van stops at a house.

The tax collecter steps out, exchanges a few words with the residents, goes back in the carry-van with a sack of coins, and steps off. As I'm walking to the stables, a young boy jumps behind me. I jumped and huff, "You startled me."

He shrugged, "Sorry. I'm just bored walking around these parts by myself." He wasn't wrong, walking in the hills by yourself could be very lonesome. "My name is Peter. Peter of Amster."

I smiled, "Bailey of the Virgin Isles." Peter had greenish gray eyes and dirty blonde hair, that swooped over his face. He is really cute, but he will probably like Rose or Lily better than me. "What are you doing here? Amster is over there," I say, pointing to the hill on the other side.

He shrugged, "I'm a traveling stableboy. My work is in Amster, but I like to visit the Virgin Isles. It's really pretty here." I agree with him. The kingdom of Virgin Isles has hills with swooping grass. There is an apple orchard filled with honeycrips, Antonovokas, and Ambrosias. I went apple picking once, and the orchard owner showed me the different kinds. 

The palace is made of stone brick and has a huge garden, too. Village central has cobblestone roads, carts filled with goodies, wild chickens running about, and the smell of the baker's lemon cakes.

We were still walking, before Petee asked the iconic question, "Why is there a fountain in the middle of the square?"

I sighed, "Seven years ago on her first  birthday, Princess Ashlyn was kidnapped. It was the same day, I was found. So, they put a fountain there so people can pray for her soul." Many of the prayers the pray evolve grace, beauty, kindness, obedience, and one lady prayed for deliverance from evil.

Peter and I continue talking, until I reached the stables. The groundskeeper gave me the money, and sent me away. We stopped halfway to the center, and share the bread and cheese. We continue walking, until we reach the two paths. One path to the center, and one to Amster. We hugged, promised to meet there tomorrow, and headed out on our own paths.

I got there home just before dinner, so I peeled the potatoes, and boiled them. I set up the table and cut some vegetables. I put the boiled potatoes in  a bowl, and boil the vegetables. The chicken was premade, so I stick it in the oven. While I wait for the chicken, I mash the potatoes adding salt, butter, and spices. The vegetables were done, so I put them in a separate bowl. The chicken finished, so I cut up some slices.

Rose, Lily, and Deliah came downstairs and sat down to eat. Rose and Lily were dressed in their outerwear, with suitcases by their sides. I shrugged, wore my apron, and went out to serve them. I put slices of chicken on each of their plates, then potatoes, then vegetables. I got out the pitcher of water, and poured it in their glasses.

"Very good. Now, where is the money?" Deliah inquiries. I hand her the sack of coins, and she looks pleased.

"More water," Lily snickered. I poured water in her glass. She smiled, "Thank you maid." Lily and Deliah laughed, and Rose played with her food.

"Rose and Lily will be transferred to a boarding house," Deliah beamed. I looked at Rose, who mouthed, I'll miss you. I nodded and smiled. When they were finished eating, I washed the dishes. Deliah walked out of the house with the girls, and took them to the front. A carriage came and picked the girls up, and drove away. I sighed, letting a tear fall down my face. Rose was one of my oldest friends.

Deliah came inside, and grabbed a clump of my hair. I held on to it, and tried to claw away her hands. My scalp was on fire, and my head was pounding. She dragged me up the stairs and threw me in the attic. "Now that Rose and Lily aren't here, I can teach you real consequences," Deliah snickerd.

I scooted away, as she came closer and closer. She paused, took a sniff, and became very angry, "You smell like an Amsterian. Did you meet one?"

I shook my head and she softened, before yanking my head on the wall, "If I ever hear about you talking to an Amsterian, you are dead. You understand?" I nodded, and she smiled. As she was about to turn the knob on the door she said, "I know Rose gave you food. Sweet soul, no good for you today." With that, she slammed the door.

I was left with my own tears. I rocked myself back and forth, humming songs. I hummed the anthem, a bird's tune, and a song from my birth mother. I lived that way for eight years, until, calvary came. Or so I had thought.