23 - One Morning Together

Start from the beginning

"We don't have time to not take those chances when they come," Jay said quietly as his tone dropped a bit. 

"Five days," I announced in a whisper looking away from him.  

Theo meowed loudly suddenly startling the both of us. I had forgotten that he was even there and now he was protesting that very fact. 

"Maybe we should get out of his way?" Jay proposed smoothly changing the topic.  

I nodded and got up from my bed and rushed straight into my bathroom.  

"What if I wanted in there?" Jay yelled from the other side. I was quickly running a brush through my hair while simultaneously trying to put toothpaste on my toothbrush. 

"There's another bathroom," I managed to say through clenched teeth as I began to get rid of my morning breath. I heard Jay mumble something but I didn't pay much attention to it. After I was pretty enough for the morning, I joined Jay out in the living room, but not before passing Theo resting peacefully on the pillow on my bed. 

"So, love," I asked mimicking a very bad British accent. "What are we going to do today? Are we going for a spot of tea? Or possibly, for fish and chips with the gov'nar?" 

Jay rolled his eyes at me and my lame joke. "Not for a spot of tea or for fish and chips with the governor." 

I clapped in delight at hearing him say it back to me. He sounded so much more authentic than I did and it certainly amused me. Jay knew it too because I had started making fun of him last night after he started picking on me for the way I talked.  

Jay unexpectedly came up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist. Before I could say anything he lifted me up into a bridal style position. I grabbed onto his afraid for my life. 

"You don't trust me?" Jay asked seeming surprised.  

I didn't answer him figuring that my tight grip around him was a pretty good response. He walked over to my couch and pretended to drop me just before catching me again. 

"If I get hurt," I warned. "Then you can explain to your mother why I can't dance." 

Suddenly Jay did let go of me and my grip on him didn't hold as I was plopped onto the couch. The springs in the red sofa didn't exactly have great support and I found my bottom feeling sore from the impact. I sat correctly just as Jay took a seat next to me. 

"I forgot all about that," he mumbled. 

I glanced at him unsure of what he meant. "That I dance?" 

"No," Jay said as he ran his hand through his hair. I bit my lip to keep from wanting to do that myself. Though I was happy to say now that it wouldn't have been too in appropriate to do so now with our status but the timing was wrong. 

"My mother," Jay finally revealed.  

"You forgot about your mother?" I asked in disbelief before mumbling, "It must be nice." 

Jay gave me a look to tell me that this was serious. "She doesn't know I'm leaving so soon." 

"Wait-what?" My eyes bulged at this news. "Carmen's going to kill me if she finds out that I knew before she did and then took you away from her." 

Jay sighed and looked away from me. "Let's not worry about it alright. I'll tell her when I leave." 

"Whoa," I said moving over him to sit on his other side in his line of vision with my legs across his lap. "You can't drop a bomb like that on her. You can't say, "Oh hey Mom! What's up? How are you? Oh, by the way, I'm leaving today for another 28 years but it's no biggie. Catch ya' later.'"