Sitting ducks

"He wants to freaking marry her, Riles. He isn't even in college yet and he's thinking way too deep into the future." Maya paces back and forth.

"I think you should calm down."

"I just care for this boy so much."Maya sighs.

"I believe that you can do way much better than Uncle Josh. He can't see what's actually in front of him and for that reason, he doesn't deserve you." Riley points out.

"So what do I do?"Maya whines.

"I think you've gone too long in thinking that you and him could happen. You need to leave it alone now, Maya."

"You're totally right."Maya agrees.

"Joshie poo!"The voice of Mariah makes Maya cringe.

Maya and Riley look out the window to see Mariah already attached to Josh, getting lifted into the air with her legs around him.

"Joshie poo? I think I'm gonna puke."Maya rolls her eyes.

Taking the attention off of Josh she notices Aaron walk around outside and she smiles.

"Aaron seems nice."Riley winks.

"Yeah he is but after last night he might think I'm a lunatic."Maya chuckles and decides to go outside.

Mariah looks at her and rolls her eyes. "Oh right, you're baby sitting."

Maya scoffs. "Isn't it crazy how we have so much in common? Or that we look alike? So shocking." Maya shades her as she walks right past.

Aaron laughs. "Nice one."

"I try."Maya shrugs.

"I'm sorry about last night, I actually really would have liked if you walked me back."She admits.

He smiles. "Wanna go on an adventure?"

She looks around. "Well we can't go farther than that tree." She points.

"You're Maya hart, I think you'll be okay."Aaron grabs her hand and takes her along.

She blushes and looks down. "Where are we going?"

"It's a surprise."He laughs.

They walk down to the woods and Maya looks around, taking in the scenery.

"Just in time for the sun to set." He points to a blanket.

Maya's eyes widen. "You set this up for me? It's beautiful." She starts to feel a weight lifted off her shoulder and sits down.

"If I'm being honest I'm quite drawn to you."Aaron lays down and looks up at the sky.

"How so?"She raises a brow.

"Well from what I see, you seem broken. You look up to your best friend more than you do an adult figure and that guy from last night isn't worth the attention that you give him. You deserve more."He mumbles.

Maya lays down and stares at him. "You're a very interesting person Aaron."

He smiles, "I'm similar you know?"

"In what way?"

"Many. In fact I've only been raised by one parent my whole life, my mom." He stares back.

Maya reaches for his hand and holds it. "I wanted to kn-"Maya stops when she she hears her name being called out.

She sits up and turns around.

Josh and Mariah walk towards them. "You need to get back to the cabin, you shouldn't even be this far from there."

Maya rolls her eyes and stands up. "I had a very nice time Aaron."

Aaron chuckles and nods. "Me too. I actually wanted to know if you perhaps would like to go on a date with me. Well when we get back." He chuckles nervously.

Josh glares at him.

"I would love that."Maya blushes and looks at Josh.

"Okay kiddos. Let's go now."Josh sighs.

As Maya and Aaron walk back together, she holds his hand again and smiles.

The whole time Josh looks down to their hands and frowns.

"Hopefully the next day won't be so bad."Maya thinks to herself.