#2. Realization - Dick Grayson x Reader

It's day two of the 30 day writing challenge, lovelies! I saw a headcannon for this somewhere around Tumblr and I wanted to expand on it a little bit. For the full list of the prompts I will be doing and ones I have already completed, go Enjoy!

You and Dick were the best of friends. You had the kind of friendship with him that most people will go an entire lifetime without. You were truly two peas in a pod. Dick is the bread to your butter, the peanut butter to your jelly, the peas to your carrots. Ever since you were teenagers the two of your were thick as thieves and utterly inseparable. Of course you love him, he is your closest friend. He was always there for you, and you him.

The two of you often spend your nights together when he's not on patrol. It's never anything fancy or even that noteworthy. Usually the two of you end up on his couch watching TV while some sort of food. It was a ritual that both of you looked forward to.

On this particular night the two of you were sprawled across Dick's couch watching whatever caught your eye on the TV. You sat between his outstretched legs with your back resting against his chest with a pint of your favorite ice cream in your hands. His arms were wrapped around either side of your body so he could more easily partake in the ice cream. The position wasn't romantic but rather convenient and comfortable.

In this serene moment, Dick's eyes wandered from the TV to you as you popped another spoonful of ice cream into your mouth. He noticed how the light of the TV danced across your skin and hair. You features looked so calm and at peace. He noticed how your soft lips curved slightly upward in a content smile. He became hyper aware of your touch and of every little move you made.

Dick realized in this moment, that the sight of you like this was the most beautiful thing he's ever seen. He also realized that it would be a cold day in hell if he were to ever not like moments like this with you. He couldn't imagine a life without you by his side.

He loves you, he admitted to himself. Somehow, all these years he's been in love you and only now realized. Dick knew deep down that his heart would always belong to you. He loves you infinitely more than one should love their friend.

'Friend.' Dick thought sadly. He was faced with the prospect that you could very well not feel the same way for him. You've been friends for years. If you were interested in him that way you would have surely made a move by now, Right?

Despite Dick's overwhelming urge to shout his love from the rooftops he decides not to say anything to you tonight. He was enjoying the night with you and didn't want to risk losing you.

"Why are you staring at me, Dick?" You ask, noticing him staring intently at you. "Do I have something on my face?" You ask rubbing away imaginary traces of ice cream on the corners of your mouth. He shook his head with a small smile.

"I ... It's nothing, [Y/N]. I was just lost in thought is all." He explains holding you just a little closer to him. Perhaps he will confess his love for you another day.