choices

"Sometimes you make choices and sometimes choices make you."

🔵🔴⚫️⚪️🔘

Mason and I spent the rest of our day at his house.

It was fun, surprisingly. His parents weren't home - "they never really are," he told me once I asked about them - so I didn't have to worry about putting on another façade for his clearly homophobic family. We just sat in his room - which was twice as large as mine, by the way - and brainstormed the many different things that we could do for the History project. He originally wanted to rap, but I couldn't think of anything cringier than that. Making a video required too much effort, however, and neither of us felt like creating a boring story. I'm not that good of a writer, and Mason said there wasn't a creative bone in his body.

In the end, we both agreed on transforming a Twenty One Pilots song into one about Christianity. Preferably Heathens, as I could monotone the chorus and he could rap to his heart's content, and none of us would be too embarrassed performing it in front of the classroom.

After that, we just sat on his bed and watched funny YouTube videos from his phone. Surprisingly enough, I didn't hate having to sit so close to him, and Mason didn't seem to be uncomfortable around me either - considering I was playing for the other team and all. I think, out of everything that's happened, it's the little things like that that make me smile. Accepting and being okay with the fact that I'm gay is one thing, but not falling for the stereotype that we perve over every guy is just . . . almost too good to be true.

"Who's your favorite YouTuber?" he randomly asked, abruptly pausing the Vine Compilation that we were watching.

"That's a hard question," I mumbled, furrowing my brows in deep thought. After a few seconds, I shrugged and said, "Probably Pewdiepie. He's hilarious."

He snorted, shaking his head. "Really?"

"Uh, yeah." I gave him a look. Here comes the judgmental, stupid Mason we all know and love, I thought. "And what's wrong with Pewds?"

"Nothing, man. Like what you like, I guess."

Rolling my eyes, I scooted away from him and crossed my arms. "And who's your favorite YouTuber? Keemstar?"

Mason laughed at that, shaking his head once again. "What? No! Not even I'm that much of a douchebag, dude."

"You could've fooled me . . ."

He ignored that comment. Stretching across the bed, a yawn escaped his lips, and he swiped a bit of hair out of his face. For a moment, as silence fell between us, I thought about how this would look from an outside view, and even how this looks from an insider's view. Both of us laying on his overly large bed, bantering like we've known each other since Kindergarten. If someone didn't know any better, they'd definitely think we were the best of friends. In an alternate universe, maybe we are; maybe, if I were normal, Mason and I would've clicked a long time ago.

It's weird to think about. Everything feels weird to think about, honestly. Just two days ago, I wouldn't have minded if Mason were to disappear and never show his face at Riverwood ever again. And now, he's one of the only people in this world to know that I'm gay. How does that even happen? How do relationships change so fast, almost in the blink of an eye?

People change.

Whenever I thought of that saying, it always brought along a negative connotation. Why wouldn't it? Ava's changing before my very eyes, in the worst way possible. Tyrese was always a bit of an idiot, but even he's being more irritating than usual. And I don't even want to think about what's going on between Justin and I.