6/ Conscious Nightmares

Arabella

"Ariee. Arie. Arie, arie, arie." The whispers clouded my mind, making it impossible to think, I was suffocating, screaming, falling, dying...

"Arie?"

I half-opened my eyes. The sound of the voice was familiar, tugging at my memories.

"Mom? Is that you? I had a terrible nightmare."

I groaned, half-rising.

"Shh, it's okay. I'm here now."

I stopped rising, some minute part of my brain screaming for me to listen.

"Wha..?"

Mom spoke again, this time, her voice oddly constricting. "Lie back down, Arie. Rest. Close your eyes, go with them."

Her voice, lulling and persuasive, convinced me.

"Oh.."

Suddenly, I recognised the scene from one of those conry movies Lizzie always dragged me to watch. And in this particular movie, I didn't make it to the sequel.

I opened my eyes again, just in time to see my 'mother's' face shift violently, finally resting on a skull, leering at me.

I opened my mouth and screamed.

"Arie!"

Rachel

"Ms. Montegory?"

I choked and quickly shoved my IPhone into my pocket.

"Uh, yeah?"

A tall man with cold eyes and a smart-looking atire glared at me.

I managed a weak smile.

"Hi Luke."

My boss said nothing, still frowning.

I sighed. "Do you have a job for me?" I asked, trying to fill the silence.

"As a matter of fact, I do."

I raised my eyebrows, silently asking him to elaborate.

"An accident has happened," he explained, "and a family of four is involved. A brief background of what we know is in a file I shall give you. You will be working with one other member of staff. You will FAS the situation. Remember, Find, Analyze, Solve. Any questions?"

"Uh.."

"No? Good."

My boss and ex-boyfriend handed me a brown, almost empty file and turned to walk away.

"Wait! I have a question."

Luke stopped, and stifly turned, still halfway through the door.

"Um, you said I would be working with another member of staff." I stuttered, lost in his eyes as usual.

"Who will it be?"

Luke huffed a little. "Well," he mused uncomfortably, "As none of our staff are technically busy, you can ask anyone to assist you, but if you become annoying, you may as well go alone. You know what to do, oh, and Rachel?"

"Yes?"

Luke's eyes gave nothing away. "If you do this job well, it may mean a promotion. Good day."

He nodded at Marice, my colleage, and walked away.

"Ahhh!" Mari fake screamed, eyes sparkling with excitement.

"I know." I gasped. "I can't believe that Luke virtually gave me permission to team up with Jany! I mean, I know he said he had gotten over it, but still.."

Mari half-groaned. "Come on, Rach. You know I didn't mean it that way. You might be getting a promotion! Think of the big bucks."

"What big bucks?" I asked, laughing. "The company doesn't have big bucks anyway!"

Mari rolled her eyes, and we hugged joyfully, bouncing up and down like we did in the eighth grade. Life was good to be. Too good to be true.

i'll post more later. vote and comment people PLS!! come on, it only takes a second, and i wanna noe want u guys think of it. btw, watch the video!! i posted it to amuse you guys, but trust me! its good