Party Favors (2)

Only ten minutes of eavesdropped conversation convinced me that young Valdez' military life would also be his death. 

"You're never tempted to sneak even a pinch of these fancy supplies? Really?" Valdez asked.

His hulking partner Gryllis kept both eyes on the road. "Absolutely not. Our orders for thieves are to chop off hands. No exceptions." A grim smile twisted his rugged face. "Were you really serious about wanting that badass hook?"

"Fuck no I wasn't!"

My attention was half elsewhere. Every checkpoint was behind us now, and the dictator's bright mansion loomed ahead. Revelry became audible over the sound of angry waves crashing against the cliff's base far below.

"Good luck, Ghost," command ops' silky male voice whispered through my earbud.

The compound gates swung wide. We passed inside, turning away from the party. I waited until we passed a small outbuilding before leaping off to roll into bush's under a bright open window. Once the armored jeep was gone I activated one of my fingercams, placing it up onto the sill. My other hand's display circle showed me the videofeed: an empty bathroom. I leapt up through the window to land back in a crouch upon the bathroom floor. All around me was expensive stonework, gilt metal and silk. I stepped away from the window and pressed the button on the All1 core fastened at the back of my neck. My All1 sneaking suit's seams all split, sheets of its weblike material swiftly retracting back into the core until I was only holding a solid little black cube in one of my black-gloved hands. I pocketed it and faced the mirror to review my newly revealed "server" disguise. Black jacket. White collared shirt. Red bowtie. Black pants. Black boots. All snug, showing off my slender body. My moderately attractive face looked solemn. I made the expression pleasant. A few strands of hair had escaped my brown ponytail. I retied it. Once satisfied, I double-checked to make sure that all was in order.

Cultured voices drifted near through an open window. Laughter echoed across the courtyard.

I cleared my throat. A brief hum warmed stiff vocal chords. "Bright. Night. Light." My tone was pleasant enough. I walked gracefully out into an empty foyer. Loud culinary voices echoed deeper within. Having memorized the compound's entire architectural plans I had no trouble locating this outbuilding's kitchen. A chef leaned through the order window to set out another party tray. I stepped forward, slapped a crisp white napkin across one arm, took the tray in my other hand and strode out into the courtyard. A sea of corrupt high society types attired in crisp tuxedo's and glittering gowns spread before me. Some strolled along the nearby outer path. "Hubris. Challenging the White army showed unbelievable hubris," a foreign dignitary insisted. She strolled arm-in-arm with some stiff, their aides trailing behind.

I bowed, offering my tray.

They all walked past me.

Smoothly rising, I continued forward across the pristine lawn. Colorful festival lamp lit us. A band played pop music, but snobbish conversation soon engulfed me. "That's right, my dear. We cannot expect peace when-" "No no no. I won't consider it until we bring them to heel. If-" "Ah, succulent. Indeed, there is no better host than-" "Is it? Yes, I'll admit I've never heard the like. An excellent band. But-" "Excuse me!!!"

I smoothly turned, bowed, and offered my tray.

A portly older gentleman eyed me grimly before selecting one of my wraps. He nibbled daintily at it, making incongruously loud smacking sounds. "Mmm, yes. Just exquisite." After snatching up another two he waved me off and turned back to his entourage.

My advance slowed. The crowd grew thick. However, this mission was best served by patience. Access to the mansion's secure areas would require utmost finesse. There was no cause to rush. I must blend in, and-

"You. Stop right there."

I smoothly turned, bowed, and offered my tray.

A big butch beauty (BBB) advanced on me. Her glittering red dress showed off her every muscular curve but her devilish smile promised true scandal. "Don't I know you?"

Shit. Ok, this could be trouble.