Chapter 8

Willow's POV

It had been a good day, if not an uneventful one. We managed not to kill any more rare demons, my ears didn't bleed from Giles shouting at Anya when she tried to set up a website for the Magic Box, and I even finished Pride and Prejudice for the eighth time. I was on my way back to campus when I decided (yet again) to take the short-cut through the graveyard. I admit, I was almost hoping to run into Spike again, but I was much more careful this time. I had a stake AND I had left my journal at home this time. There was no way Spike was going to scare me again. Besides, it would be kinda pathetic if he tried to jump me when my arms were full of groceries.

Then again, he was such an ass! It was bad enough that I tripped in front of him, but then he had to insult and belittle me? I kinda hoped I'd run into him just so I''d have an excuse to stake him. 

I don't know why I'm so obsessed about him anyways. Didn't I have the sweetest, most caring girlfriend in the world, who I absolutely adored? And, thinking about it, hadn't my best friend been screwing thing guy? Sorry, but major eww points there. Besides, isn't that kinda breaking girl code? Like, dating a friend's ex?

All I was doing was confusing myself, and again, I wasn't really paying attention, and as I walked along the overgrown path, I heard a feminine voice, and someone began to laugh.

As I crept closer, I imagined what I might find. Cordelia and her new beau, or maybe Harmony was back, trying to get Spike to take her in? If it was Harmony, my stake might accidentally find itself in her chest, just because she is a vamp, of course. Not because she was trying to steal Spike from me or something, because if she was, boy was she in for i- wait! Why was I thinking of Spike as mine? Goddess, I needed help.

"Spikey, I missed you. Why don't you kiss me and make it all better?" Why did that voice sound so familiar? And who the hell calls him 'Spikey'?

And I thought about where I new that voice from, I rounded the last  corner to see Spike up against a crypt, in a lip-lock with none other than Drusilla! 

Hadn't Miss Crazy ran off with a mucus demon, leaving him stuck in Sunnydale? God, I couldn't believe it. Well, guess I hadn't been that off with my whole Harmony guess. Still another slutty vamp who didn't know that Spike wasn't Mr. Big-Bad anymore, and that he couldn't protect them any more than a kitten. Now he was just another guy who flirted with any girl who came his way.

Thoughts were rushing through my head at a million miles per hour, and I couldn't keep myself from gasping out "What the-", as my groceries tumbled from my arms. How could he do this to me?

Hearing me, Spike whirled around in shock, shoving Drusilla out of his way. I stared at him for a moment, tears welling in my eyes, before I turned and started to run, forgetting completely about my groceries. 

I felt someone grasp my arm, and Spike said, "Willow, wait!"

What was I doing? I felt all my unchecked rage and emotion flow out, and I turned and shouted, "Don't touch me, you filthy liar! I can't believe you! First you act all sweet and protective, then you mock me for my feelings, and now you're with her! Gods, was I stupid! How did I ever see anything in you?"

His grip loosened momentarily, and I could see the shock in his face after I spoke. Obviously he didn't expect me to explode like that, but after a few tense seconds, I saw that he was upset also.

"Hey now, listen. It's not what you think! She's just staying with me. It's not like-"

I lost it. After everything that happened, he had the audacity to lie to me? After all I had been through with him, he didn't even think enough of me to be honest? How had I stooped so low that I thought he was genuinely a good person, and there was even a tiny chance that he cared about me? Was I actually so naive to think that we might ever be something?