Chapter 12

That was when she was standing there before his eyes. For a moment, there was no movement, no sound. Nothing but the constant downpour of the cold rain. With each drop was the harmony of another few million colliding to the ground. This rain was the sky’s tears as it sensed the sorrow of the two outside.

“This is on you, Yato…” Kofuku said with a heavy heart, knowing it wouldn't be easy. She closed the shrine door behind him, giving them privacy to talk.

The silence went on for another second.

Yato ripped his gaze away from Hiyori, and stared down at his boots. Hiyori took a step forward, her shoe splashing in a shallow puddle. Each step grew in volume as she got closer.

Yato clutched his fist until it hurt. He could see her feet in his line of vision. He slowly looked up at her, terrified of what she’d say.

But as soon as Yato’s brilliant blue eyes locked onto Hiyori's gaze, she nervously wandered her pink eyes away from him.

“Hiyori, what...what are you doing here?”

“What are you talking about? I come here everyday.” She laughed a little, but when Yato looked away in dismay, Hiyori’s grin faded.

She tilted her head to follow the god’s blue eyes, but Yato closed them as if he was struggling.

“Yato…? What’s going on?” Hiyori whispered to him, worried about the answer.

“Nothing. I got it under control. Just go home and don’t worry about it.” Yato insisted, trying to motion her to leave.

However, Hiyori knew otherwise.

‘Go home? Don’t worry?’ You said the same thing last night!” The anger began to build up in her voice, and Yato knew this wouldn’t end well.

“Yeah, cuz it-” Yato's nervous eyes wandered away from Hiyori’s to attempt to think of an excuse “It’s not big deal!”

Hiyori was now confused. “If it's not a big deal, then why don't you tell me what's going on?”

Yato understood his mistake right away, and didn’t know what to do. So, he rested his sturdy hands on her delicate shoulders and told her without looking her in the eyes, “I told you it wasn’t a big deal...cuz I’m gonna fix it. Okay?”

Hiyori’s eyes narrowed in sadness. She stared at Yato even if she couldn’t see his face.

“Yato…?” She mumbled.

There was a moment of silence between them before Hiyori spoke again.

“Look, I get it. It’s fine if you don’t wanna tell me, but at least let me go inside and see Koji for a little bit.”

That was when Yato’s head shot upward and his shaking eyes stared into Hiyori’s clueless ones. His hands almost immediately released their hold of her, and he took a cautious step back.

“What?” She asked, curiously and slightly frightened. “What is it? Did I say something?”

“N-no, it’s nothing. I just…” the god’s voice trailed off.

That was when Hiyori remembered. “Kofuku called me last night, Yato. Whatever it is, she clearly thinks I need to know as well as you do.”

Yato froze so suddenly, it seemed like a bullet had struck him through the chest. His eyes averted her gaze again, his face darkening.

For a moment, the only sound was the consistent raindrops as they met the ground by the couple’s feet. Hiyori stepped closer to Yato, a tiny puddle splashing under her loafer.