Chapter 4

As soon as Koji headed upstairs to hide, Yukine cleared the table of the boy's mess. No need for anyone finding out a child lived there - let alone a human and a god of calamity's child.

Yukine took a deep breathe, his hands shaking intensely. Then he answered the door. "K-konichiwa!"

Yukine felt sweat run down his forehead as he recognized one of the men from heaven. He was a Regalia as well.

Yukine quickly gave a full bow out of respect.

"Young Regalia!" His voice rang in, high and mighty. "I couldn't help but notice that your Master has arrived unaccompanied. Tell me if there is any good reason for why that is."

Yukine just nervously laughed and hesitantly scratched the back of his head. "Uhhh, well..." He needed to come up with something clever. And fast.

The man cocked an eyebrow. "And might I ask why you're hanging around Ebisu Kofuku-sama's shrine?"

Yukine stiffened, his hand dropping to his side. "W-well..." Then he thought of it. "I was asked to clean up around here for Kofuku sooo..."

"There is no excuse for not being by your Master's side!" He scolded the boy with an unsettling expression.

Yukine stood there, his hand still on the door knob. His face went a bit pale, and he didn't know how to react. "H-hai." He simply replied.

The Regalia from Heaven sighed. "However, I'm not one to speak. I should search for my Master as well. I'll let this pass just this once, but don't expect me to be sympathetic next time I catch you."

Yukine swallowed hard, and took a deep breath of relief. "Hai! It won't happen again, I swear!"

With that, Yukine bowed, and the man from Heaven turned his cheek. He walked off.

When Yukine straightened and looked up, he was gone. He sighed out of relief and closed the door again.

. . . . .

"We're sorry for calling this Colloquy so suddenly, but this matter has been a bother for some time now!" An anonymous man's voice echoed throughout the room of nothingness.

All around, they were gods standing in midair in their own tubes of light. With faces darkened and letter-coded print spread from head-to-toe, these gods would remain unknown. Mixed with the crowd were Yato, Kofuku, Bishamon, Lord Tenjin and the little Ebisu.

"What is this meaning of this?!" Someone called out, a good tone of irritation in their voice.

"At this time of day, it better be an emergency!"

"I swear, if we end up here all night-!"

"CALM DOWN!" One god's voice roared above their noise. It made everyone look over. They all went silent.

Yato turned his head, gaining full attention on the speaker.

"We can't let this bother us any longer! There's been a new god in
Takamagahara!"

"Hm? New god?" Yato repeated softly, turning his head.

"Big deal!" Someone shouted. "Gods are born all the time!"

"I knew it! We're just wasting our time!" Another protested.

"Really? I dropped everything I was doing for this?!"

Yato watched in amusement as the whole council went into a rampage. Once again, they were silenced.

"There's more to the story! We cannot confirm anything, but we feel this new god is different. Something seems terribly wrong with the whole thing." The god shook his head in confusion.

"Be alert!" Another god called out, this time a woman. "If you see or hear anything strange that could relate to this situation, please don't take it lightly."

Yato held his chin, trying to understand what they could've meant. How could a new god be "different" and "strange?"

Then his mind wandered to Koji, his little son, and Hiyori, his beautiful love. Yato hoped they wouldn't get caught up in the whole ordeal. Then it hit him.

They weren't the victims, they were the whole problem. All because he fell in love with a human and had a child from the Far Shore. This new god? Could it really be his son?

Yato had to get out of there. He didn't want to think about the consequences or the results of this mess.

The announcements went back and forth between the man and woman, setting things straight and making valid arguments.

"If this being is out of line, or defying heaven in any way, we will be forced to take action. I assume you all know what that means. Anyone involved in this will face our punishments!"

"If anyone knows anything right now, speak up! This is your only chance to say anything anonymously."

Yato couldn't keep his fear hidden, and so he called out. "Can we just get this over with already?!"

All eyes had been focused on him. The two speakers of the Council looked at each other, exchanging curious looks. This nervous behavior and anxiousness to leave gave them a clue that Yato could be hiding something.

"We're just making a few things clear. Tell me, what is your name?" The man spoke, his head turning to Yato's direction.

Sweat dropped from his forehead as the god of calamity answered, "Yato."

Bishamon, Kofuku, Lord Tenjin,and Ebisu immediately looked over in their friend's direction.

Kofuku bit her lip, hoping he wouldn't blow their secret. If anyone found out she was connected to "the new god," she'd go down with him.

"Ahhh, Yatogami" The god of the Council said, amused. "Well, sorry for my curiosity, I just had to ask. Nevermind that though." He then turned to announce to all the gods.
"Thank you for your time, everybody! You're free to leave!"