7: Fire!

Tauriel's POV

It was unbelievable! I couldn't believe what just happened.The kiss, it was like eternity! Never ending.

"I think I'm falling for you, too," I said to him when our lips broke apart. He smiled, holding my hand in his, as we watched the beautiful sunset blend in with a mixture of gold, tinged orange and yellow, together.

I grinned, as the last light of day seeped beneath the ground. "I want to show you something," Legolas spoke gently pulling me down as I got up from the swing to leave.

We waited, until the dark, blueberry sky scattered a beautiful Milky Way. I gasped. He smiled again and swung an arm around my shoulders.

"We don't usually get these milky ways in Mirkwood, do we?" He asked me, as I rested my head on his shoulder. "No, we don't," I answered, staring at the sky in awe.

🏹🏹🏹

"I'm going to bed early," Legolas spoke when we got back to the Mirkwood palace. I nodded. Since I had guard duty, I was going to stay up late.

I bid him goodnight, strapped my quiver with my arrows and bow, knives and a sword and walked to the watchtowers.

"Good to see you on time today," Thrandruil replied when I got there. "Tonight, I want you to watch this tower until 11:30 this time,"he said.

"Yes, sir," I responded as he walked off. I sat down in the watch chair and stared off into the lush valleys and trees.

This time, I WASN'T going to fall asleep. No matter how tired I'll be, I assure you that I'm going to stay AWAKE.

🏹🏹🏹

I looked at the clock on the back wall of the watchtower. It was 11:25 p.m. It has been three hours since I started guard duty. Only five more minutes and then I could go to sleep.

Then something caught the corner of my eye. There was smoke billowing out of a palace window. Strange! Then I realised what it was: Fire!

I raced from the tower as fast as my legs could carry me. Sure enough, when I got to the steps that led to the palace, elves were running all over the place, carrying buckets of water and hurling it at the blazing beast.

I found Legolas at the well with loads of buckets filled to the brim with cold, dirty water and passing the buckets to the people in the line.

Legolas's POV

"Tauriel? Thank Rivendell's name you're here!" I rushed over, throwing my arms around her in a big, bear hug. She hugged me back.

"What happened?" She asked me when we broke the hug. "I saw an orc set the palace curtains on fire." I replied. "WHAT??!" Tauriel shouted above the sounds of screaming and quenched flames.

"I SAID, I SAW AN ORC SET THE PALACE CURTAINS ON FIRE!!!" I shouted, so she could hear me more. "OH!" Tauriel shouted back at me.

When the noise softened a little, I questioned, "where's Arwen?"

"I don't know," Tauriel answered. "The last place I've seen her was her room." I moaned.

Things were getting worse every second. First, the Mirkwood palace caught on fire and second, Arwen has gone missing.

What could we possibly do?

🏹🏹🏹

After the fire has been cleared, morning had arrived. Usually sunrise makes me feel better but today, the warm, sunny feeling just wasn't shining on me.

Arwen's still missing, and the Mirkwood palace had burned down. People lost their loved ones, EXCEPT me, because she was standing right nearby.

Tauriel's POV

The Mirkwood palace would have to be rebuilt, and the silvan elves were going to have to move to a different spot that now that we knew living near the forest wasn't safe anymore.

This whole thing was unbelievable! We've lived around this area of the forest for more then 1,000 years, and we weren't used to moving to new places yet, so leaving would be hard for the elves of Mirkwood.

Every time when I looked around, I could see people suffering, faces bewildered. Legolas seemed the most bewildered of all. He stared at the ruins left of Mirkwood.

There were only three places that survived: His secret garden, the throne room and Arwen's bedroom--ARWEN.

I've completely forgotten about her! Where in Middle Earth's name was she? And how did she escape the fire?

For a little while I didn't feel a gentle tap on the shoulder, but then the tap came again, this time a little rougher. I turned.

"Arwen! Where have you been this whole time?!" I retorted, making her jump. "And how DID you escape the flames?"

"Duh, I just jumped out a window for the 'how did you escape the flames', and for the 'where have you been this whole time', I've been helping other people on the other side of the Mirkwood palace, which technically isn't a palace anymore."

I shook my head in disbelief. How could Arwen still be acting like, like this when we're actually in a serious dilemma? What's the matter with this chick?