"Yes." I responded. "They don't act like it, though. If you ask me, they act like white people."

She laughed, "That's crazy."

"Yeah it is." I shook my head. "They let the money get to their head."

"And, you haven't?"

"Obviously not." I smirked. "You don't see me having a fit for being here."

"Why are you here, anyway?" She asked. "I thought you went to a private school."

"I did, but they kicked me out because my grades were slipping." I chuckled. "My dad was so pissed."

"I'm sure he was." She smirked. "I bet he payed a lot of money for you to be there."

"Oh well," I shrugged. "I was hoping to get under his skin, anyway."

"Why?" She questioned me. "Don't you think that's kind of selfish?"

"No." I said. "My dad is very overbearing. All he does is push me to be something that I don't wanna be, and when he doesn't get his way he goes all psychotic on me."

"Well, at least you have a dad." She said. "My daddy died and now I'm stuck looking at George's face every stinking day."

I frowned, "I'm sorry for your loss."

"Thanks." She smiled. "You know, you aren't that bad."

"You aren't, either." I winked. "You definitely aren't bad to look at."

"Don't cross the line." She giggled.

"I'm just being honest." I said. "You are very beautiful."

"Thank you." She smiled. "But, this is very weird and probably wrong."

"How?"

"Just don't worry about it." She shook her head. "I don't wanna talk about it."

"Do you mind me asking what your name is?" I smiled. "I don't think I can go any longer without knowing it."

"Isamariá." She said. "Call me Isa, though."

"That's cute and it fits you perfectly." I said. "I see that you're some type of Latina. Rican?"

She giggled, "You are so smart."

"Do you mean that sarcastically or are you finally being nice to me for once?" I raised an eyebrow.

"It was definitely sarcastic."

"I should have known." I folded my arms. "You just don't like me for some reason."

"Do we have to keep bringing up this topic?" She rolled her eyes. "I think you get the hint by now."

I didn't know what it was about Isa, but she seemed so different from every other girl that I had ever met. Maybe it was the big, curly hair, or her aggressive personality. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but she was so amusing to me.

"How come you're not jocking me?"

"What?" She shot me a funny look.

"You don't like me?"

"You think that I'm supposed to like you?" She asked with her face all screwed up.

"Uh, yeah?" I chuckled. "Why wouldn't you?"

She stifled a laugh. "Andreson, I'm not that girl. I'm not going to just like you because you're a Valdez."

"But, every other girl does." I said. "Why don't you?"

"I just told you." She smiled. "They only like you for your money, anyway."

Which was true.

"How'd you figure?"

"Ain't that what almost every girl wants these days?" She asked, obviously rhetorical.

"I guess now you think that you're smart." I smirked.

"Just a little." She grinned. "Does it really matter? I thought you were supposed to be confident about yourself."

"Well, of course you should." I said. "But, as for some others...I'm not too sure about that."

"That's kinda mean." She said.

"I can be mean sometimes," I shrugged. "But, I actually like you."

"Wow, so I guess this is as nice as you're gonna get." She shook her head. "That's not good."

She was throwing me the coolest vibes, and I was catching them perfectly well. We didn't have one dull moment our entire conversation. She was pretty, funny, and surprisingly easy to get along with. I decided that I was gonna keep her on my good list.

After class ended, Isa and I walked outside, still talking away.

"I have to go take care of some things." She said as she rested her hands on her hips. "I guess I'll see you later, Andreson."

"You sure?" I joked.

She flashed me her beautiful smile and then began walking away. "Yeah, I'm sure."

The whole ride home, I couldn't stop thinking about her. I was kind of excited that I was gonna get to spend more time with her. I guess that it showed on my face, because Lisa didn't hesitate to question me once I walked through the doors.

"Why are you so happy?" She inquired. "You must have met a girl today."

"Something like that." I said. "I mean, I did talk to Isa."

"Your babysitter." She smirked. "How Ironic? No wonder you're smiling like you just won a million bucks."

"What are you trying to say?" I laughed.

"You think she's cute, don't you?"

"Yeah.." I shrugged.

"Well, I hope you guys don't fall in love with each other too quickly." She joked. "That's if you haven't already."

"Nobody is gonna fall in love." I said. "We're just friends."

"You say that now." She smiled. "But, in a few weeks you both are going to be head over heels for each other."

"She's just a cute girl and I'm a good looking dude." I said. "What could go wrong in this situation?"

She chuckled, "Just watch out, Andreson."

"Andree, remember?" I made my way upstairs.

"Okay, Andree." She said.

Of course Isa and I were just gonna be friends. It would be easier and that's the way that I wanted to keep things. Besides, I knew that she wasn't feeling me on that level. She was kind of skeptical of me, but I didn't blame her for that. When I look back on that night, I feel regret and I wish that I wouldn't have done those things to her. She didn't deserve that, and I knew that I was gonna try to make things right with her.

I was gonna show her that I really wasn't a bad guy. I might as well, right?

Ese.जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें