Chapter 8 - Why Now?

Maddie’s POV

“Why are you telling me this now!”

What are my ‘parents’ doing telling me this right here and now!

“Honey, we thought you should know. Just in case you pass”

Gabby speaks up and I can tell she is just as angry

“She will not fucking pass!”

“If I am adopted, then who the fuck are my parents!”

Harry has come over next to me now and is trying to calm me down, which is working. I take his hand for more support. Niall is next to Gabby, trying to calm her down.

I look at my ‘parents’ then over to Liam’s parents when they speak.

“We are Maddie”

What.

Liam’s parents are my parents.

I turn to Liam with my mouth wide open

“I am your brother” He tells me nervously

“What the fuck!”

“Please don’t swear darling” My real mum speaks up

“Don’t fucking tell me what to do! You haven’t raised me, you gave me away! Don’t think you can just walk in and become my mother!”

Harry has sat on the bed now and is rubbing my back. I am so angry.

“We didn’t give you away! Madeline we only planned one child. So when you came we didn’t know what to do. We have stayed in touch with your adopted parents to see how you were doing. They sent us photos of you growing up with Gabby and when we found out you were in hospital we had to come tell you!”

I have tears rolling down my face at the moment, I am in Harry’s arms which makes me feel better though

“how could you keep this a secret the whole time!” Gabby yells at my real parents and adopted parents.

Gabby has a right to be angry, she is my best friend she calls my parents her parents she has been living a lie as much as I have.

“Get out..”

I say as calmly as I can.

My real and adopted parents leave the room.

I rest in Harry’s arms before I hear Gabby begin to yell

“Liam you knew!! You knew she was your sister when she almost died at the signing!! You knew when you asked me her name and birth date!!”

“I couldn’t tell her without mum and dad!”

“You watched your sister fall to the ground, you watched her almost die and you just sat there..”

“I didn’t know for sure then!”

I don’t want to speak to anyone right now.

Gabby goes to yell again

“Gabby, stop it isn’t worth it” I speak cutting her off.

She groans and moves herself onto Niall’s lap putting her head on his shoulder. Once she has removed herself from the bed Harry pushes me over so that he can sit on the bed fully. I let him and place my head on his chest.

“Maddie, I have watched you and Gabby grow up. I have always wanted to come see you again. But I didn’t know where you were” Liam starts to talk.

He gets out his wallet and passes me two pictures. I refuse to take it

“Please look”

I sit up slightly to snatch the pictures out of his hands.

The first one I see is a picture of Liam when he was about 6-7 holding a new born baby, me.

The second one was a picture of Gabby and I when we were toddlers holding our teddies in the backyard. We were hugging in the photo with massive smiles on our faces and our teddies in our hands.

Harry is looking at the photos over my shoulder and rubs my back, I know I only just met him. But he is just supportive. Easy to get a long with and imperfectly perfect.

I pass the pictures to Gabby. She looks at them and then looks at me. I can tell we are feeling the same thing.

“Here”

I have grown a lot calmer now. As I pass the pictures back to Liam I realise everyone else is still here.

“Bring mum and dad in please”

Everyone starts to get up including Niall and Harry but I see Gabby grab Nialls arm.

“Harry, stay please” He turns around and makes himself comfortable again.

Louis, Zayn, Lou and Gemma head out, I put my head back on Harry’s chest and look at Liam. He doesn’t look happy at all.

As my adopted and real parents walk back into the room I can hear Harry’s steady heart beat.

“Talk”

Gabby’s POV

I am sitting on Niall’s lap, listening to Maddie’s real parents tell her everything. I am tired of all of this. It is wrong.

“Okay, so did you ever think that maybe it was better for me to know! Did you ever think that maybe half of the reason I feel so empty all the time was because I was lost! The only person I knew was Gabby! She is pretty much my sister. She has been living the same lie. Did you ever think that maybe I wanted home. Or needed to be home. With my sister with my real fucking parents and my real brother who was my idol!”

Maddie is in tears again. I just put my head down.

I know Maddie and I know she will not let this go.

“Mum, Dad please stop. We need time. Besides you gave Maddie away because you only planned one child, now you have three. Do you still not want any other children!?” I step in for Maddie. They are my parents too.

“Darling, we have decided its time to take all of you home”

I look at Maddie and then at Liam. This is my family.

“Give us a few days” Maddie finishes

they nod and step outside.

The room is left with Niall, me Harry, Maddie and Liam.

“They did it for your own good you know, and Harry, Niall can you please not get so close with my sisters”

Maddie pipes up when she listens to the last sentence “Liam, go fuck yourself!”

“Can you not! You haven’t been here to raise us before don’t think you can start now!”

He groans “I am looking out for you two! As a big brother that is my job!”

“WHY ARE YOU ONLY STARTING NOW! IS IT BECAUSE I AM DYING!” Maddie screams at him. I have only ever seen her like this a few times, it is not pretty.

Liam sighs, shakes his head and walks out.

I can hear Maddie sobbing I do not blame her, I am crying to. But I am a silent crier.

I rest my head in the curve of Niall’s neck.

Liam walks back in “Maddie, Gabby I am sorry” Neither of us talk and he leaves almost straight away.

I hear Harry whisper to Maddie

“It will be okay..”

I sure do hope so Harry.