Chapter 2 - Breathe

Maddie’s POV

I sit up and go dizzy for a few seconds, I haven’t moved all day.

I shake my head and look around at all of the equipment I am hooked up to. “How the fuck am I meant to get out of here?” I ask myself.

This is going to be challenging. Some how I have to find a way to get myself unhooked from everything and then get out of the hospital. I don’t know how this is going to happen.

I begin searching for a power point or something so that when I take all this shit out of my arms and legs and stomach alarms don’t go off. Oh I found it.

Yeah I can’t reach that.

I would call Gabby for help but she would kill me if she found out I was doing this. So I am by myself.

Oh fuck a duck, I can’t do this. ALRIGHT.

3…2…1 on one I reach down which causes me to almost fall out of bed and hit the switch without moving to much. I balance myself back on the bed.

“Okay now I can get all this shit out!” I am still speaking to myself.

I rip everything out because I don’t have time to do it carefully and jump up out of bed. It feels good to be standing again.

Woah I do not feel good. Okay so I have now discovered that being hooked up to that shit is for the better because I feel like chucking and collapsing and maybe I should hook myself back up.

NO NO NO NO NO I have to go to the signing okay.

Now next challenge getting out of here without being seen. This is going to be fun…

I stick my head out of the door, and look left and right. There is doctors and nurses everywhere.

I go back in and get dressed with the clothes they put away in the draws for me. I find my beanie and put that on also, considering I am losing a bit of hair.

I really don’t feel well. But I am still going. Okay on another count of 3 run, 1…2…3… RUN. I ran out of my room and headed for the stairs since hardly anyone uses them. Luckily I get to the stairs and no one sees. Yep feeling really sick.

I make my way slowly down the stairs holding onto the rail because of how I feel. I am okay.

Finally I reach the exit. I am outside. I have made it. I am brilliant. Alright yeah so what now. Right yeah walking down the street.

“Fuck it is hot!” I exclaim under my breath not wanting people to think I am special.

I wander down the street looking in the shops as I pass by, when I see a massive group of fans waiting outside the entrance. Doors clearly have not opened yet.

I go to stand at the back of the line and sneak in. This should be fun.

About 20 minutes later I am in, so far I have gone half an hour without being hooked up and I am not feeling fine at all. That’s okay.

Oh I see the boys. Everyone runs over to the table they are patiently sitting at and screams almost knocking me to the ground. I manage to hold my ground and run with them. Running isn’t a good idea.

I am now in line. I am going to meet the boys, my excitement levels are so high up right now.

I haven’t spotted Gabby yet, surely she is here somewhere! She has to be. I don’t really want to find her because she will take me back to the hospital.

Anyway I am about 50 people back from where the boys are, this is annoying. I need to get in and out before I die. Okay cool thanks.

~~~

Time passes by and I am starting to panic because I really don’t what to die right here and now. I try to breathe and calm myself down when I realise I am about 10 people away from them.

I start to get excited. Oh shit.

I can’t breathe again. I bend over in pain as my stomach shoots the knife stabbing pain again. Little groans come out of my mouth as I try to catch a breath. An hour is up the doctors were right.

I step out of the line still bending over holding my stomach, I begin coughing and spluttering everywhere. I get weird looks from people but it honestly isn’t my fault.

As I fall to my knees and put my hands on the ground I look up to see Niall, Harry and Zayn looking at me with concerned faces. I sound like an old man trying to breathe. This is really bad.

I can feel my body slowly dying inside.

“MOVEEEE GET OUT THE WAY!, MADDIE WHAT THE FUCK!” I found Gabby. She pushes and shoves people out of the way to reach me.

“Maddie! What are you doing here!”

“I needed….”

I try to talk but it is very difficult, someone help me please.

“SOMEONE HELP PLEASE!” Gabby yells looking at the boys and at all the fans.

Gabby’s POV

My best friend is a fucking dumbass. She wanted to meet the boys so she decides to kill herself.

As I shout out for help I see Niall turn around to Lou Teasdale and gesture over to us, seconds later Lou Teasdale and Gemma Styles are by my side.

G – “please help her!”

L – “Okay calm down, tell us what is wrong!”

GS – “Everything will be okay!”

They try and comfort me.

G – “Her name is Maddie, she has cancer, she is meant to be in hospital but snuck out to come here!” I begin to tear up.

Lou’s face goes tense and cold. She bends down to where Maddie is lying and pulls her in to her. She starts to speak very quietly to Maddie I don’t know what about or why but I didn’t question it.

“Gemma please call an ambulance, she is going to die!” I yell at Gemma as she rushes away to get a phone.

The book signing hasn’t stopped its still going and no one really cares. That is good to know.

I drop to my knees to talk to my best friend

G – “Maddie, breathe everything will be okay! The ambulance are on their way!” Tears escape my eyes.

Maddie finds words

“No Gabby, No I have to meet them!”

She is only just breathing. I don’t care what she wants right now, she needs to go back to hospital!

Minutes later the ambulance has arrived, they pick Maddie and up and take her out to the Ambulance car. I stand up and go to follow, before I follow I turn around and look at the boys. All 5 of them are looking, I shake my head and turn to Lou and Gemma. Lou is teary and Gemma is very worried. “Thank you” Is all I say before following my almost dead best friend.

I will not be meeting the boys today.

“Sweetie, can we come?” I turn back around and Lou has placed her hand on my shoulder. I nod. That would be lovely.

Lou quickly rushes over to tell Paul, One Direction’s security guard where her and Gemma are going.

Lou, Gemma and I make our way out of the venue and to the hospital.