Chapter 5: First Day

She has ignored me for the past two weeks. She had already left for work by the time my alarm woke me. I should stop waiting for a caring gesture that won't ever come.

I could barely sleep last night. The knots in my stomach made me restless. I haven't been looking forward to this day. I bet if I didn't go she wouldn't even notice.

Alas, I need to go. A scholarship is my only ticket to earning my independence. Two more years.

The school was located thirty minutes away. It wasn't a large school, but I suppose average in size to support students from three various counties. It was old, just like all the other brick buildings in this area.

I parked my car in an area that had signs reading "Student Parking". I sat there awhile, and just watch the other students mingle amongst one another.

They all seemed to know each other. There were numerous high fives and hugs going around. No one really stuck out though. They all looked the same from an outsiders perspective. Most of them dressed simply, in jeans and t-shirts. The students lacked the flair I was constantly surrounded with in California.

I hoped I could just blend in among them. I wasn't really interested in making any friends, and especially not an enemies. I just wanted to do my school work and get out of here.

I grabbed my bag from the passenger seat and exited the car. Not many cars were parked here, so I'm assuming most of them just took the buses.

I walked through the black doors of the front building and into the office located on the right. The office clerk seemed flustered from all the preparations and questions swarming her from students and faculty members. I sat in one of the few empty chairs and waited. I didn't want to be a bother.

When a few people exited, I introduced myself to her. She knew exactly who I was. They didn't get many new students in this area. She handed me my schedule of 7 classes and smiled.

"If you want to just have a seat over there, I have an office aid this morning who can give you a tour of the school, she told me.

I sat back down in the same seat as before. Students shuffled in and out of the office. A few looked at me, but paid no special attention.

"Good morning, Miss Deborah," a chipper blonde girl called out as she walked in.

The bell rang, and all of the other students pushed their way out into the hall to go to class.

"Right on time," smiled the blonde.

"Yes, Lacey, I already have a task for you," Miss Deborah told her. "This," she said pointing to me, "is Nora. She's our only new student this year. Would you take her and show her around campus."

Miss Deborah immediately went back to the stack of papers laid out in front of her. Lacey stood at the front desk signing her name onto a paper before turning to me.

"Well let's get to it shall we?" She announced. She took my hand and led me into the hallway.

Lacey was tall. Not extremely tall, but tall. I assume she's about 5'7. She, realistically, could be a model. She had long blonde hair, full lips, and crystal blue eyes. She just had this cheerful personality that flowed through her.

She showed my the cafeteria, the gym, the auditorium, and lastly the library. The library was the best part about the school. It was probably one of the first things built here. It had an old rustic feeling, and was much larger than I ever expected it to be. It had a very serene setting.

She explained to me how the hallways were numbered, and the best way to go about getting to each class. She was very informative in her own spunky way.

She led me near my first class, French III. I said thank you to her for showing me around. As I turned to walk to my class she shouted back to me, "see you next period," before sprinting away.

I guess I had English class with Lacey.