Chapter 8: Blood, Pain and Jake

"As you're going to help me", Bernard continued. "I'll go and introduce you to a group of powerful loyalists that will help deal with the consequences of our future actions, which will be there."

"Of course", I exclaimed before either mom or dad could answer. "They won't like it if we take away their power."

"I don't think you understand, Sarah", dad said to me, he sounded concerned. "What we're about to do, will start a war."

"A war!?", I was truly shocked.

"Your dad's right", Bernard said to me. "They will probably try to regain their power by force. Jake confirmed that they have an army hidden away in various locations in the city."

"But, shouldn't we take out their forces first then", I asked.

"No matter where we strike", mom said. "There will be consequences. So we might as well hit them where it's going to hurt the most."

The mayor responded by nodding and then told us to follow him. We followed him into the sewers via a secret stairway and eventually arrived in a meeting place filled with people. Young and old, male and female of all races and ethnicities. He turned to us and said: "This is my loyalist army." He then pointed over to an elevated platform where a table stood with three people sitting around it. "The guy on the left with the red mask, his name is Blood. He is our general and will lead this army to victory in the coming battle. The woman next to him is called Pain. She wears that helmet to conceal her face and claims she does't need it for protection. She is the commander of our task forces and will make sure they strike at the precise points needed to turn the tide of battle. And in case you were wondering, the lizard with spikes on the sides of his arms, front of his legs and horns on his head is called Jake. He is our spymaster and will make sure we know every move the enemy makes. All three of them are great warriors as well and will accompany us to the council."

"That's quite the impressive army you got", my dad complimented him. "However, other than those three, you and my family there is nobody here capable of standing up to their officers and assassins. Which means we'll need those three in the field and that means they can't command their subordinates properly."

"We got that covered", Bernard said with a smile. "Everything is set to run autonomously as soon as the battle begins. They just did all the setting up."

"If that's the case, what are we waiting for", I was getting excited.

"The next council meeting is tomorrow, so I suggest getting some rest while you can", Bernard seemed genuinely worried. "We don't know how long it will take to defeat the Bloody Smile Corporation, but trust me. We WILL defeat them."

He gave me the confidence I needed to fight in a war,  but seeing how calm my parents stayed during this I just had to ask them: "Mom, dad, have you ever been in a war before?"

"Not just a war, sweetie", mom said while smiling. "Many, many wars and during most of them we had nowhere near this amount of people to back us up..."