21

It had just passed one p.m when Lauren and Camila finally arrived at the Cabello residence. Lauren noticed the decrepitness of some of the properties down the street - the whole neighbourhood was basically the opposite of glamour. But clearly for the Cabello's this was home and they appreciated it.

Lauren sucked in a deep breath as she exited the car. Camila caught up to her on the footpath towards the front door, also appearing nervous. They'd spoke about what they would tell Camila's extended family. Lauren was an old friend, that was all. It pained Lauren to have to lie like that but it was necessary.

She wondered what would happen in two weeks when Thanksgiving rolled around. Would Camila come back here for break? Would Lauren be alone in the apartment all week? Nothing was certain and it killed Lauren.

Camila knocked on the front door of her childhood home a few times, before a younger unfamiliar face answered. Lauren took in the girls features and how they somewhat represented Camila's. This girl had chubbier cheeks though and shorter hair. Her eyes were dark chocolate pools though, much like Camila's. Lauren found herself unconsciously smiling at the girl. Camila stepped forward first, wrapping her arms around the girl tightly. Lauren stood back, watching the warm embrace and wishing that she had this kind of connection with her family.

Camila then turned around, facing Lauren and smiling really small at her. "Sofi this is Lauren, Lauren this is my sister Sofi."

As soon as the word sister was spoken, Lauren's mind immediately flew back to the time she was in the bar, looking over at Camila's laptop. The picture on her desktop background was her and Sofi. They clearly had a loving relationship. It saddened Lauren that Camila barely saw her sister anymore.

"Hi Sofi, it's good to finally meet you."

Sofi grinned really wide and moved toward her, embracing her tightly. Lauren stared at Camila with her eyebrows raised and Camila chuckled to herself.

"Actually," Sofi pulled back, "it's good to finally meet you Lauren. Camila never shuts up about you when she visits."

Camila's mouth dropped open and she slapped her sisters shoulder. "Quit stirring."

Sofi just hummed in response, shrugging her shoulder dramatically and strutting into the house. Lauren stepped closer to Camila when they were alone and leaned into towards her ear.

"Couldn't shut up about me, huh?" She teased. Camila's breath hitched, before she rolled her eyes and walked into the house. Lauren followed her through, noticing the antique features in the home. It was beautiful, everything was so traditional. Once they got to the backdoor, Lauren smelled a whiff of Cuban food and she almost thought she might have accidentally orgasmed.

"Damn," she moaned, "that smells amazing."

"You're in luck," Camila said turning to her, "my parents have cooked a feast."

They exited the house, walking onto the backyard patio. There were a lot of family members out here, Lauren didn't know where to look first. Fairy lights hung around the patio, acting like a glimmering barrier. There was soft Spanish music playing from an old speaker and a lot of people were serving food.

Lauren felt overwhelmed but also a sense of warmth. She couldn't help but want to meet everyone, get to know her own culture that her parents never showed her. She wanted to be drowned in the traditions, the music, the food, the acceptance from a family she barely knew but already felt so close to.

Her thought were interrupted when she felt a hand grab hers. Camila led her to a table full of people. She introduced her to her cousins, her sister's boyfriend and her parents once again when they finally became free of other guests or food prep.