The Truth of Death

It felt like fire was rushing through my veins, and every nerve of my body was tingling like they were being tickled by a feather. My heart beat faster, then slowed. And finally stopped. I grabbed my chest, searching desperately for a heartbeat. My knees trembled then finally buckled.  I collapsed and shuddered. My vision sharpened and my hearing increased ten-fold. I slowly raised my head up and saw Max offering me a hand up. He smiled and I grabbed his hand. I looked at my arms, and the exposed skin of my wrists looked a tiny bit paler than before. Other than that, I felt normal. Well, my hearing and vision were sharpened and my neck was really tingling. I cleared my throat and slowly asked, "M-Max?" My voice sounded as it had before, unsure and soft.
"Hey Ross. How've you been?" The sound of his rich Louisianian accent filled the air and sent first a jolt of sadness through me, then anger. I collapsed onto his chest and encircled his body with my arms, crying into his shoulder. How was I crying? How were we talking? How was this all possible? Why had I never heard a walker talk before? I had so many questions, and one person to target them with. I pushed off of his chest angrily and threw a punch at him. It didn't do a thing. So I jumped at him, tackling him to the ground and bombarded him with questions. "How am I crying? How are we talking? How is this all possible? Why have I never heard a walker talk before? What is going on?" He laughed and pushed me off. "Well, I'm not exactly sure either, but apparently when you get bitten, you don't actually die. We have scientists working on it, but, it's more like you enter this state where your heart stops beating and you have really heightened senses." We stood up and brushed off our clothes, and I realised the other zombi- people, were still crowding around us, whispering to each other. Even though I was supposedly dead, I could feel heat rush up to my cheeks and I hurriedly stuffed my hands into my jean pockets. Suddenly, I felt an strong arm wrap around me and I squeaked. God dang my reflexes. The crowd giggled as I looked back and saw Max's arm on my shoulder. We walked forward and Max introduced me to a few of the, uh, people/zombies. He pointed to a zombie with purple(?) hair, a suit with a bright red tie, and was holding the hand of another zombie, who was slightly shorter with black hair, and red sunglasses that partially hid his bright blue eyes.
"Ross, this is Tom, and behind him Jordan."
"Hiya!" Tom had a thick British accent, and warm brown eyes that almost concealed the fact he was dead. "Jordy and I are pleased to welcome your face to the world of Zombie-ness!"
Jordan tugged on Tom's hand and whispered, (read shouted) "Tom! Why are you introing us like that? It's not Mianite!"
I smiled and Max chuckled. He pulled me over to another pair of walkers, one with green hair and the other with red. "That's Jack and Mark." The one with green hair looked up and waved, then want back to chatting with Mark. I smiled. They all seemed so, well, real. But they couldn't be. They, we, were dead. Yet here we were. I looked back up at Max and he seemed content, showing me around, and introducing me to everyone. I relaxed, and felt the tension leave my body. It's a wonder what we don't think about until after it happens. I sighed and smiled. This wasn't so bad after all. I would have thought that being a zombie would have been awful, but I was clearly mistaken. You didn't have to worry about things like breathing, or scratching your head. The only thing that I really felt truly was the pleasant tingling sensation where Max had bitten me. I could be content with this life.
After Max had introduced me to everyone, he brought me into another room, this one filled with rows upon rows of bunk beds. As we walked past the bunks I noticed pictures taped on the frames of a few, and some of the beds had little things like stuffed animals or random items ranging from books to phones nestled in the sheets. All this time Adam and our- No, his group had thought walkers were soulless and bloodthirsty creatures. In reality the walkers seemed even more humane than the humans themselves. Max finally stopped at one of the last bunks, which looked like it was only occupied by a single person. He climbed up the ladder and pointed to the bunk below.
"Here Ross. This is my bunk. If you want you can sleep here. I don't have a bunkmate yet. Normally When you come here, you're assigned one for now, but you're allowed to change it up. Normally when someone gets a boyfriend or girlfriend, they bunk together, like Jack and Mark, or Tom and Jordan. But,  I'm alone." He sighed, resting his head on his hands, then perked up. "Well, I was alone. Now I have you!" I smiled, and jumped up to join him. "Don't worry Max. I'll never leave you again."

(By the way, that's not the end. Just expect very slow updates because I'm working on a better Mithross fanfic. :3)